infiniti battery or Interstate Megatron?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

Ok,just got a new factory battery for the q,and after replacing it every 3.5 years,am wondering if I should use it in my 280zx which needs a battery,and get the Interstate Megatron for thw Q?I am selling the Z,so I can put either battery in it and keep the best brand for the Q-any ideas how these 2 batterys stack up? The Interstate has about 75 more cold cranking amps than OEM,otherwise quality differences are unknown.prices are similar for both.

Rex
Car: None

I'll suggest the Optima Red Top, make sure you get the "tray" that goes with it. It raises the battery up to the tie down bar.

IMHO, no one does batteries better than Optima.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ Agreed.

And Dan at Midway has a RIPPIN' deal on them.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Rex wrote:I'll suggest the Optima Red Top, make sure you get the "tray" that goes with it. It raises the battery up to the tie down bar.

IMHO, no one does batteries better than Optima.
ABSOLUTELY!

The car turns over much faster with the Optima. I bet the savings on the starter iw worth the extra for the battery.

I wish mine had come with the top that works as a tray. I had to improvise, to get it tight.

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I just put an Optima Red Top in my Q. So far, so good. I didn't get the tray, so I have to go and get some shorter tie downs. I did a rig to secure it for now, But I'd like something more permanant.

Rex

louiegz wrote:I just put an Optima Red Top in my Q. So far, so good. I didn't get the tray, so I have to go and get some shorter tie downs. I did a rig to secure it for now, But I'd like something more permanant.
Did you get the battery at AutoZone? They should give you the tray/platform for free.

I would assume anywhere esle you buy it they'd do the same as well.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I understand the battery comes with a protective top cover, that flips upside down, to be used as a tray under the battery. I bought a display model, and the cover was missing. I got a great deal for it, though.

Th4rg0r
Car: '94 Infiniti Q45

Just curious about the optima, used to use the NTB made-for-truck tougher diehards, seems fine, until NTB split with sears, and only carry Exides now. Deciding on a new battery before mine dies, thinking of the optima since it's only like 20 bucks more than mine ...

So, question is, does the Optima last much longer than a regular battery ( >3 years)? I really heard good things about it and think I'll swap my exide out. And are the Reds the only option? (oooh, another reason I know I'll love these is that they're red, heh, I'll paint my whole engine red if I have the choice)

Thanks guys,

Shang

JedCoop
Car: 94 Q45t w/TCS, 92 Q45 w/TCS, 91 Q45 touring (RIP)

The longer the battery has been on the shelf, the much quicker it will die in use. Therefore buy a bettery from a place that sells lots of batteries fast. It is more important than the brand.

HEAT kills batteries, not cold. Batteries will not last as long in Arizona as they do in Oregon. I don't know if the expensive batteries really have longer lives than "normal" batteries in high heat.

If you buy any battery with more reserve power, it will be longer before the battery becomes a problem. Go beyond the guides and get the the biggest thing that fits your vehicle.

I just replace my battery at the first sign of a problem with a fresh, high powered, cheaper brand battery. In my area, the place to go is Costco.

p.s. I wouldn't buy a factory battery because they sell so few, therefore they sit on the shelf too long.

Black95Q
Car: Infiniti Q45

I only use Optima batteries in all of my cars for peace of mind. Its worth the extra money IMO.

Rex

Jeff Williams wrote:I understand the battery comes with a protective top cover, that flips upside down, to be used as a tray under the battery. I bought a display model, and the cover was missing. I got a great deal for it, though.
Ahhh, I did not know they used a cover for protection during shipment that doubles as a "booster" tray. That's actually a pretty efficient use of consumables.

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

decided against the optima due to not wanting to adapt an incorrect size battery to the vehicle.ANYONE have any experience with the Interstate Megatron? tired of factory short lived batteries!

RobertsnewQ

Probably doesn't matter too much. There are only two or three manufacturers of automotive batteries in the US anyway. All the various brands you see are just re-labeled for a particular retailer.

Like someone mentioned above, always buy your batteries in a place that has high turnover and get the freshest one you can.

Yep, heat is the killer - it seems like I always get stuck with a failed battery & calling AAA in the summer.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”