Infiniti 1996 I30

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
qmccall

I have 1996 Infiniti I30 and my transmission is slightly overfilled and I mean just slightly........according to the dipstick......should I have it drain to the level?

NISTECH

YES!! definitly, nissan transmissions dont like high fluid levels, even slightly.

NISTECH

welcome to nico btw. glad to have ya aboard

qmccall

thanks nissantech......should i go to the dealer and have this drain done? or can the plug just be released and simply let some out and refill to the level?

NISTECH

yea you can pull the drain plug from the trans and lower the level a bit.. you are checking it with the car running right? if not that is when you are suppose to check it.

NISTECH

when you post back just click the reply button to the lower right of my post. it will put it in this thread instead of another.

qmccall

well yesterday i checked it was running about 4 times and the level was above the hot mark. this morning i checked it about 5 min after i warmed the car up .....i drove it around....wnet from p-1...then back up from 1-p ..got out.....pulled it..........and it seemed rt......but i wonder if let it warm up enough....when i pulled it this morning it had bubbles in the fluid which means sometime that the fluid level is 2 high.........i came home and let it sit for about an hr..went out 2 check it and it was above the marks on both the cold and hot..........without the car running....what should i do? the fluid is very clean and pink? is that the rt color?

NISTECH

yes right color. dont check you fluid level with the car off. that reading is irrelevant. only check trans when the car is running. what i suggest is trying to aquire a level somewhere between the 2 cold marks when the car has sat overnight or several hours at least. start the car ,run the shifter through the gears slowly then go check it.. the fluid level would be best between the bottom and half way in the cold marks.

qmccall

ok....thanks so much for the info. so i Should NOT let it warm up in the morning...just start it.......run through the gears slowly.....then check using the cold marks? is that correct?

NISTECH

you got it:::D

qmccall

ok...for information sake....what is the best fluid for the nissan /infinti? i hear and read so much about this mobil 1 atf stuff....what is that all about? and is a slight harsh shift from 1-2 and 2-1 normal in infiniti.......? so if it is overfill after i check it correctly.........how should i proceed?dealer?

NISTECH

yeah but a high fluid level can have an adverse effect on shift quality. but if you get the level correct and it still has a harsh shift condition. I believe there was a TSB or campaign for the shift solonoid on that trans not sure if it applied to that year or not.

qmccall

so is anything with a tsb repaired at no charge? what is the best fluid for the transmission...the nissanmatic or the mobil one stuff guys talk about on this board? i have also read that the slightly harsh shift was normal for the i30 and there was tons of complaints when it was first released.......

qmccall

how do i go about locating a tsb? is there somewhere online that reveals them?

NISTECH

I am not sure about where to find them online but I can get both nissan and infiniti bullitens off the factories asist system at work and let you know if it applies to your car tomorrow night. TSB's are not warrenty repairs so it is at your cost. tsb's are only diagnostic instruments to help techs repair vehicles more effectively. As far as fluid goes I usually use the nissan stuff. any info on the quality of aftermarket stuff I really dont know. Some of these guys here have all the specs on that stuff.

qmccall

wonderful thanks again for all your help. Please don't forget to look that up for me....so if it is a problem I can go to the dealer with tsb in hand.....you have been such a great help. I look forward to reading what you have discovered on tomorrow. Thanks so much

NISTECH

no prob have a good night

qmccall

ok....i check this morning and it is slightly above the top mark on the cold side........maybe 2/16th-3/16th above it.........

qmccall

one more thing when u reply 2 me about tsb SOLENOID for the tranny could u tell me.....exactly where is the solenoid and how much is the part and labor for the dealer service? thanks....

NISTECH

ok I checked for this bulliten and it is no longer listed in the asist for either your car or the nissan max. I have noticed lately nissan has been dropping bullitens from asist. unsure why,dont know if its for space or hiding admission of guilt..lol. any how they did list the procedure for doing it but thats about it. you cdont need that since most dealer techs have done them before I have done several my self. your looking at possibly 2hrs labor fee. price I dont know and my be more at the infiniti dealer since inifniti is considered a higher level of car. The solonoid pack is located inside the trans and requires the valve body to be lowered out to gain access to the bolts holding the pack in.

qmccall

lol ok........so what exactly is the procedure called? it only does it every now and then. kinda seems to does it from a cold start...then you can barely feel it after the car warms up........,but i want it right........do you know how much the part is?

qmccall

would this be the one ? in Number: 98023Date of Bulletin: 9805Service BulletComponent: POWER TRAIN: TRANSMISSION: AUTOMATICSummary: VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN ON AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE SOLENOID VALVE ASSEMBLY.

NISTECH

how severe are we talking about. what you are experiancing may be normal for the warm up cycle. I dont know the cost of the part. but I would venture to guess somewhere around $200 but that is only a guess by knowing what the part looks like. there is no name for the procedure. It just replacing the shift solonoid pack.

qmccall

it is not severe. I would describe it as mild......from 1-2....then 2-1......more noticeable cold.....,but not as noticeable after it warms up,but it still does it....maybe after i slow down to make a turn into or out of a parking lot.........is this the one:

Service Bulletin Number: 98023Date of Bulletin: 9805Component: POWER TRAIN: TRANSMISSION: AUTOMATICSummary: VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN ON AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE SOLENOID VALVE ASSEMBLY.

NISTECH

by description that looks like it. where did you come up with it? they had one for altimas too.

qmccall

i find it on edmunds.com and infinhelp.com

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

We have a 97 and 99 I30 and both are shifting smoothly, even after cold start. I'm using Nissan Matic D ATF with LubeGard (Red)ATF Protectant for warranty purposes. Since your car is probably out of warrantly, then you can use Mobil 1 ATF which is recommended in this board. If you haven't done a flush for a while (recommended every 30K) then do a pan drop and filter change first (kit available from Scottsdale Infiniti @ $36). You don't want the dirt/metal chips that have accumulated on the pan to circulate in your system. Clean the pan and the magnets and remove any trace of sludge/dirt. Fill the tranny with the same amount you have drained. Verify correct level. Do a flush thru a dealership or any reputable shop with a fluid exchange machine. If you're using Mobil 1, the board recommends you add Lubegard (black) Friction Modifier to match the Nissan Matic D.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”