Incredibly high pitched noise when I turn on my radio - Q45

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
imsharone
Car: 1994 Q45

When I turn on the audio system in my 1994 Q45 - I immediately get an incredibly high-pitched noise - like the sound of "tone" - I can hear the radio playing in the background, but this tone is deafening! What is it? Help me...I can't commute without tunes!!!

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Stock radio? Amps? Is the whine a constant pitch or does it change with engine speed?

imsharone

Everything factory - no modifications. It is a constant high pitched tone and does not amplify or diminish as I drive. I can only have it on for brief periods because it is deafening. I have checked the fuses - tried to find a loose ground (though I'm not sure what I'm looking for) - I press the knob to power up the stereo and within a second it is blaring. I can hear the radio - even turn up the volume, but this "interference" remains constant. Must have music...

the converted
2020 Taco

I think the bad news is that it's time to replace it. I'm assuming (scary I know) that you have a Bose system in that bad boy, and if you want to keep it you might try powering up just the amp independent of the head unit and see if you have that noise still. That will just point at which of the two is bad so you know what to replace.

Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

imsharone

Thanks for the guidance...sounds like ka-ching though! Have a great holiday!

PoorManQ45

The amps are going bad. I had this problem before.

Get a nice 4 channel amp like the Hifonics TX8805.

Then Get a set of DLS R6As for the fronts

Then for the rears get a pair of TangBand 6x9" subs. This will give you badarse front imaging with a good amount of bass, but not too overpowering.

You can use a Line Out Converter if you'd like to keep the factory Head unit.

the converted
2020 Taco

I still think we should figure out exactly what part it is before going and replacing something that might work just fine.

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

There are some capacitors in the amps that go bad over time. They can be replaced but it might be time to consider an upgrade. There's a tutorial somewhere on how to replace the caps. I'll dig around for it.

imsharone

Is this (replacing the capacitors) something I can do myself? (I am quite handy) If not, would a car stereo shop be able to help me? I continue to be 'tune-less':-(

Gort400

I am having this same problem. 1995 Q45, Just wondering if the Capacitors fixed the problem. Is there a write up on the procedure? Thanks for all the good information on this site.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”