Increased Road noise?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

Hey yall,

It's been a while but i've still got my 11 M37X and still running well with 120K miles on it. I've got a set of tires with about 45K miles on them (BFG G-Force COMP-2 A/S on 20" staggered wheels) and recently have noticed a lot of road noise. At idle, my car is quiet, but even up to 45 mph, there's a low droning sound. At highway speed, I've measured about 85 db on an app on my phone. When I kick the car into Neutral and coasting at 65 mph, the car is still loud, which kinda tells me it's not the engine or exhaust (or am I totally off-base here?)

I've switched to snow tires for the season, and they are still kind of loud, about 83 db on the sound app. Granted it's been in the 60s, so as it gets colder, I'm curious if the noise will increase/decrease). I'm also second guessing if it's because of my age? lol I'm 37. But it's been getting to the point where it's starting to cause light headaches from a 35 minute commute on mostly highway. I guess I've never noticed it before if it was loud?

Any thoughts?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

These cars have TERRRRRIIBBBLLLEEE sound deadening. It's REALLY bad for a 'luxury' car. It's not just you...trust me. I'm 33 and it's loud...I just crank the music louder lol.

EdBwoy

Yes on all accounts, especially age (the car, not yours, lol)

If you are interested and have access, Firestone usually offers a suspension check for approx $10.
You'll get to see what components are worn in your suspension system. How's your alignment? When is the last time you balanced your wheels and/or rotated your tires?
Couple that with old tires. Yes, the tread might be warrantied for a lot of miles (which they can achieve with even tire wear), but I've had to switch out visually good tires because of noise levels due to age.

Then you have good ole temperature, which affects both the road surface and the tire compound. It will generally get louder in the winter.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Yep I would guess tires have something to do with it.

When I traded for my '16 the tires looked fine but road noise was horrible on the test drive even at 40 mph. Luckily I had just put new tires on my '11 that I had them swap for, noise was gone.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”