In The Market

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
dshapton

Hello all!

Am in the market for a new (used) car, and have always liked the post 2007 G35 / G37 sedans. Am particularly interested in the AWD models as I live in Canada, eh, and I have a few questions:

- What are the main differences between the 2007 / 2008 G35x and the 2009 and later G37x models?

- What are the major problem areas with these cars that I should be aware of when looking at them?

- I have had very good luck with high mileage vehicles in the past - my current DD is a 1996 Saab 900S with 430,000 km on it (about 270,000 miles) - what should I be looking out for in a higher mileage 2007 or 2008 G35x, or 2009 and newer G37x? (by higher mileage I mean 200,000km / 125,000 miles or more)

- How do repair / maintenance costs compare to other near-luxury "performance" sedans like the BMW 3-series, Volvo S60-R, or Lexus I-series?

- What is the best model year, reliability wise, for these vehicles? As a rule I always try to avoid first-year models (in this case 2007) but is there a particular year that has the fewest problems?

Ok, that is all for now! Thank you very much!

ds

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

I don't know the answers to all those questions. I figure someone does and it just might take some time for them to log in and notice this thread. But I do want to welcome you. I also like higher mileage cars and not having car payments!

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

This is some from my general knowledge; if I've made a mistake, someone that knows better feel free to modify my statement.

03/04 G35: Possible oil consumption on higher mileage engines, seat adjustment electronic failure, center console (climate control/sound system) malfunction, gas pump (forgot the mechanism name) will stop before full tank (specific pump nozzles not well tolerated), premature brake wear (any car now would have had the rotors replaced so moot point I think), and front wheel bearings [AWD only]

05/06 G35: Possible oil consumption and spark plug problems on higher mileage engines, compression rod early failure, 3rd brake light malfunction, also seat adjustment failure (but maybe due to the track - not the electronics?), and maybe front wheel bearings [AWD only] - admittedly AWD cars have much heavier wear on wheel bearings in general.

03 - 06 G35 6MT: clutch chatter. Oh man dat chatter [not strictly a problem - just annoying]

07/08 G35 [sedan]: Honestly, I don't hear much here besides the AWD wheel bearings again - probably a very good year?

07/08 G37 [coupe]: Possible oil consumption [seems like this time it happened to new engines], seals around doors/windows leak in heavy rain (easy fix), seat bubbles/upholstery issues, stock battery issues, interior cosmetic issues near instrument cluster.

09+ G37: Possibly some cases of jumpy or sluggish transmissions, possibly some cases of squealing or grinding brake noises. Some interior or cosmetic issues.

Sorry, don't personally know too much about the after 2008 models.

As for the changes from 2008 to 2009, I think it's pretty much the engine and the 7 gear AT vs the 5AT. I think 2010 had a slight exterior/interior refresh.

Generally, I think the G35/G37 is considered a very reliable car. Most issues are related to cosmetics or convenience and not the powertrain. This is probably just anecdotal, but I think maintenance costs are on par with competitive Acura/Lexus/other Infiniti models and somewhat cheaper than European alternatives.

Good luck with the decision,
Lars

Joker927
Car: TBD

I am also in the market for a 08+ G and have the exact same questions (great questions, btw). I'm not particularly looking for AWD models and have no preference of coupe vs sedan but in my market I see many ~100k-120k Gs and I am curious. I come from supercharged Minis and turbod Subarus, two cars that require large wallets or good DIY skills at high milage.

Just signed up. Thanks for any and all info.

centralcoaster33

Hi Joker, welcome to NICO Club. I see you haven't added any questions and are just saying hi. You'll get lost in this thread. I mean, no one is looking here except me to follow up and maybe lars if he's following it anymore. DShapton seems like a one hit wonder, we get those on Forums every day of course. Go ahead and make a new one in General somewhere to say hi if you like. Or pick a sub-forum and ask a question. I had no idea Subies were so expensive. I just figured short life span due to the boxer. I guess short life span equals expensive! Makes sense to me. At least that's why I don't rock an RX7.

dshapton

Hello All!

One Hit Wonder here!

:)

Sorry, have been travelling quite a bit for work over past little bit & was kind of expecting automated notifications when there were responses on the thread but that doesn't seem to be the case (is that an option I can turn on somewhere?).. Anyway, am just checking in here again now! LarsG35, thank you so much for your advice.

I have looked at several vehicles now, there seem to be quite a few available here in the Toronto area with more popping up all the time so I am being quite selective, have narrowed it down to looking specifically for something at 200,000km or so with a black interior, aluminum interior trim, the Bose premium sound system, and the back up camera (which seems to only be in cars with the Nav option). A few more questions (sorry):

- Was it ever possible to get the back up camera without the Navigation?
- How hard is it to adapt the iPod interface cable to the newer iPods with the Lighting connector? I see it mentioned as a possibility on some other threads but it seems to be a fiddly workaround in the pre 2010 cars.
- I'm noticing most of the vehicles seem to have a lot of wear on the steering wheel bezel, the shifter knob, and the drivers side armrest - is this typical and if so how easy a fix is it to swap out the bezel and armrests? The shift knobs seem pretty standard.
- I have heard the spark plugs are a bit challenging to swap out and should be done at right around 200,000km, does anyone have any experience with that?

I'm learning quite a lot and feel as though I will be totally ready when the right thing comes along!

And centralcoaster - yes, couldn't agree with you more! Here's to high mileage and no payments!

Thanks everyone!

dshapton

centralcoaster33

He's back! No offense please?! We really do get a daily dose of single posters. :blush:

Hey, I'm glad you have found many options and get to be picky. Being patient will pay off for sure! :biggrin:

Yes, auto-subscribe isn't setup by default. You can manage your subscriptions in your control panel, overview tab, manage subscriptions. Also, you can setup the default subscribe (I think, I haven't tested it) and notify by going to control panel, board preferences, edit posting defaults, notify me. I get notify and subscribe a bit confused and should probably figure that out sometime. :confused:

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Hi dshapton,

I'm 99% sure that the backup camera only came with the navigation option (unless you find an aftermarket install). I'm pretty sure the nav option is the only way to get the LCD screen that the backup camera would use from the factory.

The steering wheel bezel is replaceable (you probably notice quite a few with fading or chipping? - that's one of the interior cosmetic issues in the 07+ years), and as far as I can see, it takes a medium amount of work.

This G35Driver post might help
http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v ... l-v36.html

Not sure about the other stuff, I'll keep an eye out.
Lars

dshapton

Thanks Lars! That bezel replacement does seem pretty straightforward. Now all I need is a car!

Centralcoaster - no offence taken! Am officially subscribed to this thread now!

dshapton

dshapton

Hello all, I'm back, with another quick question... Have been doing some more research and I've noticed that the 2010's and newer are the only years with a USB input...

- Does this input play nicely with new, Lighting connector equipped iPhones? Does it charge them properly as well as allow dashboard screen control of the iPod music app?
- Were there any option / trim levels that included both an Aux input AND a USB input?
- More generally, were there any recalls or specific issues I should be aware of with the 2010's? To be honest the USB thing might be enough of a reason to convince me to limit my search to 2010's only!

Thank You!

dshapton

centralcoaster33

Yes, the car stereo with USB will charge your iDevice (when the key is in and turned to 'on'). Yes, the cable will work to connect your iPhone. It only cares about the standard USB being plugged into it, not the lightning end that connects to the device. I mean, it connects to your computer with a normal USB right? So it will in the car as well. Yes, you'll get an in car interface that allows you to control the iPod functions like playlists and volume, etc. Hey, if you're buying used, you're gonna test drive and inspect it right? So bring your iPod with you to test it.

Finally, I don't think you should limit your purchasing due to OEM stereos. An aftermarket system like a head unit is an easy and affordable upgrade and you'll have thousands of options for compatible stereos to make your iDevice play in your car with the factory speakers. Like 100 bucks and an afternoon to buy and install and you're all set, works on any car!

I don't know the specific recalls and technical service bulletins (TSB) that are worth mentioning, but what you can do is use the internet searching for each year you're interested in. Like "2010 Infinity G37 TSB" and you'll find a list of things that have been noted by the manufacturer. Don't be afraid of long lists, most cars have several TSBs these days. Lots of CYA I think. But do take note of the items and give them weight based on your priority. Engine and drivetrain are the ones I car about most. Some people are all about body, trim and paint.

dshapton

Thanks so much central coaster! Will definitely bring my phone if / when I test drive a 2010, haven't had an opportunity to just yet.

Will do a search on TSB's also, have just been googling things like "recall".. I'm frankly not terribly worried about cosmetic issues..

As regards the stereo.. i was under the impression that the car's hard drive (for nav etc) is integral with the head unit & that it was not very easy to use an aftermarket unit? Or am I wrong about that?

ds

centralcoaster33

Oh, sorry, I kind of thought about that after my post and on my way home. I think Nav and stereo may be integrated on some models. Now, I haven't ventured into this territory, but others have. They seem to install and aftermarket head unit for the purpose of iPod and subwoofer outs and such. They install a new speaker, just for navigation and that's somewhere up front for the driver and only plays the navi voice, no music. I'm sorry I dont' know more.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”