In seek of an QUIET Aftermarket Exhaust

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Blueorb

I am wondering if anyone knows of an exhaust system that is much quieter then the N1's/others. The reason is i don't want to draw so much attention to myself and be hassled by the cops and have everyone know that I am coming.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

HKS Sport. Slightly louder than stock, but nearly as loud as a huge fart can.

Zebrahead
Car: cars, basketball, girls, fishing

HKS Hiper ain't bad either. It's loud, but in a deep, very unobtrusive way. You can hear it coming, but its not an annoying loud, or a head turning loud. Best exhaust I've ever heard, actually. :)

Nick.

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

I know someone who is running two Magnaflow straight through mufflers with a stock-looking tip. It made more power, but it still sounds really quiet. He did it for a slightly different reason than you are. His car looks completely stock, sounds stock, but runs high 12's. Only way you can even tell it migh have something is the fact that he has Nitto drag radials on the front, and that's it. THis is one of those cars you avoid at the street races..LOL

BTW..It only cost him like 150 bucks to do it too, so it's a little less expensive than buying a pre-made set-up. He just bought some pre-bend mandrel bends and the exhaust shop used them for all the bigger turns on the exhaust. It turned out real nice.

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

I have a Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper Spec (sounds ricy), but its a damn good exhaust IMO...its absolutely quiet at idle, and quiet up until about 3000, but i have a cold air-intake which I think brings the most roar out of anything, not sure what it would sound like w/o intake...I got mine for $450 shipped new, and the build quality is amazing!

1991240xs

Turbo_Nismo_EC wrote:. Only way you can even tell it migh have something is the fact that he has Nitto drag radials on the front, and that's it. THis is one of those cars you avoid at the street races..LOL

On the Front?...aww geeze-

jude240
Car: 97 240sx/99 Transam

If you want something quiet, try GREDDY power extreme exhaust... Thats what I have right now.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

http://www.jspec.com

they got lots of JASMA certified exhautsts, which should be pretty quiet.

-chet

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

mine is JASMA certified as well, and is built incredibly well..

LiU
Car: Cars

it is quiet as a mouse.... I have it on my 96..... its nice not annoying as those Honda exhausts that just annoy you... but sometimes you pull up to a honda you wanna rev it a lil it isn't exactly a head turner.... really low and deep rumbling..... pipe's a lil big at 2.55 in but it is one of the better performing exhausts out there

Former_240_s14
Car: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

For a more affordable muffler, I really like the sound of my ractive oval shapped muffler "don't know id number on it". Its mighty deep for a 4 cyl. and its quiet enough too I think. If you wanna know what it looks like got to

http://members.cardomain.com/rndhvd

that is the muffler on my car. Hope this helps.

technoman
Car: puss

I use a custom system with a Borla muffler It sounds nice......

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

Yeah on the front.....I know I know. It's a Hyundai Accent tuned by Draggon Fab in El Paso Texas( you may remember their twin engine Tiburon in the Ultimate Street Cart Challenge). Last time I talked about this car my post mysteriously disappeared and I all of a sudden had problems logging in.

But he did that twin muffler set-up and it is super quiet...except for the turbo hiss when he is pulling 25 psi...LOL

Blueorb

Thanks for your imput guys... it really helps a lot.

joe_keyzer

Do know anyone who works at a muffler shop? I just went to the local muffler shop and the guy set me up with custom bent from the manifold back plus a magnaflow muffler (polished stainless) for 200 would have been cheaper but the muffler was 130.

-Joe

Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

Looking for power and almost no sound, got the following:

2.5" tubing from a Random Tech cat, and a factory type aftermarket muffler from IMCO (better flowing than stock). This gave me more power and better acceleration, with a deeper and a bit louder than original.

I suppose more power can be obtained with the factory type for a 300ZX.

s14

julio what kind of muffler is that? where can i get it? thanks

s14

Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

s14 wrote:julio what kind of muffler is that? where can i get it? thanks

s14

The one I got is from IMCO, they manufacture aluminized and stainless factory replacements (but better flowing), stainless tips and turbo type performance mufflers (quietter than most).

This is their site: http://www.imcoweb.com/index2.html

Call them and ask for the model number of the 240SX replacement or the 300ZX replacement (check dimensions for NA and turbo) and choose. Ask for the type of tips and choose a model. Then ask the person where to call for ordering, it's going to be waaaaayyyy cheaper than brand stuff.

I got the aluminized 240SX replacement and a pair of stainless 2" in - 3" out, round and rolled-in tips. Looks great and sounds good.

Why is the sound good? Installing a Random Tech high flow cat and 2.5" tubing with nothing else between the muffler and cat, is providing more space and less obstacles for that sound. So, volume increases, but the advantage of using a factory type muffler is that the necessary chambers for neutralizing most of decibels are there. In the case of IMCO, there is no absorbing material and internal spaces and tubes are a bit larger, the case is smaller; all this provides for better flow and lightweight, without compromising sound control.

Regarding performance, the results are immediate. Better acceleration with increased power, you can see the RPMs climbing strong and fast all the way to the red line. Why can this happen without having straight flow or turbo muffler?

Happening is what I call a funnel effect. Think about taking a funnel in your kitchen and pouring water from the faucet in. You can have a quantity of water at the top of the funnel and a quantity flowing from the bottom. If you increase the water from the faucet the top part beggins to rise and faster flow at the bottom because of pressure, but there is a limit because of the size of the funnel. Too much water and it overflows. So, to increasing the water flow from the faucet and not overflow, you can use a funnel with a bigger top (cat and tubing), not necessarily increasing the size of the bottom hole (muffler). This way, more water can flow from the faucet (engine) without overflowing the funnel (exhaust system).

Simple, right?

s14

O YEA...

lolol, but seriously thank you for the reply julio, very informative

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”