importing sr20det

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
wega_85

who in this forum has actually imported there sr20det stright from japan. i dont want to pay the rediculous price that some places charge for this. and if u did import your own engine how much did i cost your wallet??? and the installation how much was it????

Daunttless

I import my own engines. : ) And then I charge ridiculous prices for them. Its not that easy to get 1 engine from Japan. : ) You won't have any guarantee, you have to get contacts in Japan that you can trust, and when its all said and done you'll have paid about the same that I charge, and you won't even know if you have a quality unit or not. : )

BuudWeizErr

Yes, this is one case where I will be glad to have a middleman. If it were something brand new that had some sort of manufacturers warranty or something of the sort, then I would go looking for wholesale, or the cheapest prices available. But this is definitely different.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

I have the ability to purchase an SR for 1000 shipped but god knows what I would get for that! Before you say it doesnt matter, when a freakin ignitor chip costs 400 bucks it all adds up! Best to just buy from a reliable source such as Dauntless and know your getting a low milage quality motor with a guarantee.

SR180SX

wega_85 wrote:who in this forum has actually imported there sr20det stright from japan. i dont want to pay the rediculous price that some places charge for this. and if u did import your own engine how much did i cost your wallet??? and the installation how much was it????

It's not worth it ... think about the shipping cost oversea, and maybe the import tax!! oh, and you probably need to speak Japanese..

wega_85

i know the motor's are very cheap in japan and i do have people who i know that go there regularly. so next time they go i was going to ask to see if they can inquire for me about the motor. i just wanted to know about how much it cost to ship down to the usa. and about how much people would pay in japan for an sr20det.... oh yeah i live in hawaii so does my shipping cost go down????

Daunttless

No, your shipping cost will go up unless you take a 2 month long freight ship that only sails like 3 times a year. : ) Well, that may be a bit of an exageration, but it would be "easier" to ship it to the west coast and then ship it back to you, and you have customs in between there. : )

The motors are very cheap in Japan, you can buy them for as low as 200 dollars at open air markets, most cost 500-700, more if you're an American. However, they won't be complete, and by the time you pay for everything, it will be pretty much the same cost as buying from someone like me. No joke, I know a guy who went to Japan, found one for 200 bucks, it looked complete, he was like holy **** and bought it. Of course, he didn't know the yen conversion, and when he asked the guy he paid 600 or 700 for the motor, I can't remember. : ) Then he got back and his buddy was like dude, its only 200 dollars when you convert the yen, he was like damn. However, he was like 700 bucks, thats still a damn good deal. By the time that he got it back here, and he had shipping connections, it cost him about 1800 dollars. Then, there was no mafs, cas, ignitor, intercooler, and something else. So he hunted all those parts down, also had a connection and ended up at about 2600 dollars ( this was a while ago when prices were either really cheap or really high ) and he's like, well, thats not bad. So he plugs everything up because the harness was actually mostly complete and it doesn't work. He can't figure it out for the life of him, so he's like damnit, something else must be wrong. So he pulled the engine, starts disassembling it and finds out that it doesn't have any pistons in it. Thats right, no pistons, looks pristine from the outside. So he had to tear apart everything, replace everything, and it ended up costing him way, way more than the 1800 he spent to get it to his door. The thing is, a lot of those engines you find have already been bought for 200 dollars, something has been stripped from them, they're sold back for 200 dollars, they're sold again for 200 dollars, something is stripped, this pattern is done about 5 more times, and then an American buys it for 500-700 dollars. : ) Its really a great system they've got worked out. Well, thats just my little story, take it for what its worth. Enjoy your day! Also, for reference, I don't buy those 200 dollar engines, I buy complete, running cars in Japan, then I have my guys strip them for whatever I need/want. I might start getting junkyard specials and offering bargain rates for people who want incomplete engines, but I haven't decided yet. : ) I like to sell things complete, all I need is for someone to complain about the engine I told them was incomplete. So I'd rather do things right the first time. Enjoy your day.

godspeed

Daunttless i will be in japan in a couple of days i am going to go to school there, i am going to try to get into selling car parts over ebay and stuff, mostly bov and boost controlers and little jdm things but i would be intrested in being a contact for you if you want, or if not thats cool, you can email me at [email protected]

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”