Importing Skylines

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Rommel

I know this topic has been beat to death on these forums but I can't find any answers to my questions. I have 0 interest in legalizing a Skyline for street use, nor do I want a "show" car. The only reason I want one is for drag racing purposes. Tons of cars are trailered to the strip every race night. None of these cars pass any sort of emissions or crash tests that our government requires . The only requirements are those put forth by the NHRA, IHRA, track rules etc. So my questions are...How hard is it to get a Skyline brought over? Would it be possible to use one in the manner described (no street use)?

Thanks

gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

yes you can bring it in that way. there are links in several threads in this section to the NHTSA, DOT, EPA, and all the other regs you'd need to do it...

I think you gotta show a race schedule and sponsors/business reason why you want irt here.. something liek that. and I think they limit the length of time even still...

SAPrez
Car: Racing, Car Shows, Creative Arts, Sports

Yes, they limit the length of time to: 1-3 years, no Customs duties paid, up to five years if they are paid (2.5% of the purchase price of the vehicle).I am unsure how easy that is to do, however, since to get RTE you have to prove that the vehicle was A) not manufactured for use on public roads<OR> B) has been modified beyond the point of being able to be re-modified BACK to being used on public roads.Now, a person would say, "Hey, a Skyline WASN'T made for use on the public roads", but the RI's have established that it can, in fact (for lots of money and time) be MODIFIED for use on public roads.....I want an R32 for this very same reason and am going to submit a pre-application---for Show and Display you are allowed to submit the application before you own the vehicle, and the language of the RTE seems to indicate you must OWN the vehicle first, so I am checking that out and will advise as soon as I know something definite.

mB

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”