Immobilizer tripped? How to reset or figure out how to start car

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
EniGmA1987
Car: '06 M35 Sport

Immobilizer tripped? How to reset or figure out how to start car

Postby EniGmA1987 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm

So my car is in the shop getting a wrap done and they seem to have tripped some sort of immobilizer. The headlights will work, the door locks will work when I put the key in the door. However the dash does not light up, when I get in the car the LCD does not show an icon for pressing the brake pedal, the start button does not show any lights and I cannot put the car into ACC mode.

The only light on the dash that is on is the security light that is flashing red. It looks the same as when the car is parked and locked. When I bought the car the dealer also installed a Karr security system. Never got any special remotes or anything for that though. The light for that is flash green like it always has been and is located under the steering wheel kinda by the hood release lever.

All fuses check out good. The batter is about 6 months old and good. The alternator is about 2 months old and good. Key fob batteries were changed at the beginning of the year. Both key fobs will not start the car.

I looked up a bunch of stuff for how to reset the immobilizer but everything pretty much requires the car going into acc or on mode. Which I cannot do as the car will not go into any other mode.

Does anyone know if this is indeed the immobilizer system or the karr system? And how to go about fixing this to start the car?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Re: Immobilizer tripped? How to reset or figure out how to start car

Postby Ilya » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:50 pm

Hard to diagnose from here and I don't know if these cars have a NATS system on them (immobilizer), but in the 4th Gen Maxima world (95-99), the NATS was a somewhat common issue. I had my NATS go bad and my key lost its ability to start the car. I was able to start it for a second using starting fluid, but that won't help you since you can't get it to crank. I ended up towing it to Nissan and they reprogrammed it for $84...

You may need to take it to your local dealer and have the CONSULT run on it after they are done wrapping it. Or have that shop do it (pay for it).

Costee
Car: 2006 M45 Sport
2012 Murano SL

Postby Costee » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:12 pm

There's probably a malfunction in the push-button ignition switch or its circuit. The intelligent key unit is also a suspect.

Costee
2012 Murano SL

Postby Costee » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:31 pm

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm
I looked up a bunch of stuff for how to reset the immobilizer but everything pretty much requires the car going into acc or on mode. Which I cannot do as the car will not go into any other mode.
If there's been a loss of memory, resetting the immobilizer is not a bad idea. With a capable key programmer, the process starts with what is called steering lock release. You don't need the acc mode (ignition power source) to do this so long as the intelligent key unit is not faulty.

Rogue One
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Postby Rogue One » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Is your steering wheel stuck in the lock position?
For models equipped with the Intelligent key system and NVIS/IVIS, an electrically controlled steering lock mechanism is adopted on the key cylinder. For this reason, if the battery is disconnected or if the battery is discharged, the steering wheel will lock and steering wheel rotation will become impossible.
There is a specific procedure to follow to avoid this before doing repair work, but it sounds like that was missed.
To get the key to turn to the ACC position you'll need to unlock the steering wheel. To unlock your steering wheel, use your left hand to wiggle the steering wheel left and right with significant force. At the same time, use your right hand to turn the ignition key from the LOCK position to the ACC (accessory) or START position.
These are generic alarm immobilizer reset procedures and they apply to most vehicles.
Drivers Door Key Reset
Exit the car with all doors closed and the windows rolled up. Also close and any rear doors such as the trunk, rear hatch and front hood. Lock the car using the drivers side lock and walk away from the car at least ten feet. Wait for fifteen minutes and unlock the door, this should reset the security system.

Activate the Key Fob
Many manufactures will not allow the car to start when the panic button has been pushed. Hold down the panic button for five seconds to reset the immobilizer. Next, push the lock button two times and wait ten feet away from the car for ten minutes. Then hit the unlock button on the fob twice this should deactivate the security system which should be accompanied by exterior lights flashing or an audible horn beep.

Each of these procedures should be followed by the cancellation of the security light. If this light is blinking while you are trying to crank and start the engine the system is not reset.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 M35 Sport

Postby EniGmA1987 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 am

Thank you for the replies, everyone. An update to the situation:
The car was left to sit with the battery disconnected overnight. Yesterday afternoon the shop hooked the battery up again and this time the car started fine! It is acting like there was no issues and never a problem. So the situation is sort of solved. I am now worried about something going bad like the BCM or some other part of the ignition system though. When this issue first started the shop had the battery disconnected for a while and then tried hooking it up to see if things worked, as well as leaving the battery disconnected for an hour and then hooking it up and trying again. During those times the car was still dead. So either something in the car is going bad, or if it was indeed an immobilizer system then it seems that leaving the battery unplugged for about 24 hours reset things.

@Rogue One, Yes the steering wheel is/was locked during this issue. Brake pedal also locked.
I have changed my car battery out plenty of times over the years and never encountered this before. What is the procedure that is supposed to be followed when disconnecting the battery to keep this from happening?

I tried the other things you suggested in the quotes. Either I wasnt using enough force on the steering wheel, or that simply wasnt working because the ignition button seemingly had no power. That advice seems like it would work with a physical key that can be inserted and turned though.
I also couldn't try the second quote, because the windows would only roll down and would not roll up. I tried doing it while the windows were down but the panic button didnt do anything like making the horn and lights go off. Lock and unlock buttons on the fob do nothing as well, only physical key in the door with lock or unlock all the doors electronically. This would make me think it is something to do with the key or the receiver for the keys, but with power out to the whole dash and the steering wheel and brake pedal locked it seems more like the whole unit that controls the dash, as well as the power to the key receiver, is gone.

I did look up some info on KARR security systems, and while information is conflicting it does seem to hook into the BCM. So it is looking a lot like the karr system immobilizer was tripped and that is cutting power to the whole BCM and key receiver.

So anyway, as of yesterday afternoon things seem ok. I pick up the car today and plan on taking it to the dealership. I doubt they will find anything given that it seems to run fine now, or they will just tell me a bunch of expensive stuff needs replacing without knowing for sure. lol. But I feel better playing it safe and at least paying for a diagnosis and tech to look things over and I need my transmission oil flushed anyway so Ill do that at the same time.
Ill update again if the dealership does find anything

Rogue One
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Postby Rogue One » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am

m35.jpg

eQlipse
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

Postby eQlipse » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Rogue One wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am
m35.jpg
This thread is what I believe to be my issue. Steering wheel was locked when I disconnected the battery. This procedure describes using the mechanical key to turn to acc. How is this accomplished? I wasn't aware this was possible. I'm gonna take another look at the ignition switch.

If I can't figure this out I'll disconnect the battery overnight.

Costee
2012 Murano SL

Postby Costee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:02 am

eQlipse wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:54 pm
Rogue One wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am
m35.jpg
This thread is what I believe to be my issue. Steering wheel was locked when I disconnected the battery. This procedure describes using the mechanical key to turn to acc. How is this accomplished? I wasn't aware this was possible. I'm gonna take another look at the ignition switch.

If I can't figure this out I'll disconnect the battery overnight.
I'd rather you left the ignition switch alone. The procedure is for repairs requiring that the steering lock is released. Just go ahead and disconnect the battery all night.

eQlipse
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

Postby eQlipse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:32 am

Left battery disconnected. That did not work. Gonna go with locksmith to reprogram. Thanks for the help.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 97 D21, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan 4x4.

Postby AZhitman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Interesting article on this topic - Hopefully it'll help someone else down the road!

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/ ... ealership/

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”