Illuminated Kick Plates Fuse Location and/or Rewiring Help

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Hey guys. So, I finally bought replacement kickplates. I removed the old ones and plugged the new into the local connection that was already there. The new plates aren’t lighting up. Before I completely replace the remaining wiring I was hoping someone could point me to the location of the fuse? I plan on starting there and moving on if that isn’t the issue.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Battery power to the option connector is from fuse #9 in the cabin fuseblock, but there are a bunch of other things powered off it including the cluster and HVAC. So unless other things besides the kick plates are malfunctioning, the fuse isn't the issue.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:15 pm
Battery power to the option connector is from fuse #9 in the cabin fuseblock, but there are a bunch of other things powered off it including the cluster and HVAC. So unless other things besides the kick plates are malfunctioning, the fuse isn't the issue.
Greatly appreciated.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On second inspection, it probably isn't using the battery circuit. This is from a '17 Murano:

17 Murano Accessory Connector.jpg
The kick plate lamps are powered from the BCM Battery-Saver circuit and grounded through the door switch for the particular door. The passenger side would go to the Dk Green wire for the RH door. The Battery-Saver still doesn't have it's own fuse, it's integral to the BCM. These layouts are generally standardized from year to year but not between years, so you should try to confirm the functions of any wires you want to use before assuming the colors match. The Battery-Saver kills the dome lights after 15~30 minutes depending on model, so when your dome lights time out with a door open you should also see a test lamp on the Saver circuit go out.

If you want to remind me on Wednesday morning, I'll be back in the shop and can pull up the exact connector layout for your M from ASIST.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:24 pm
On second inspection, it probably isn't using the battery circuit. This is from a '17 Murano:

17 Murano Accessory Connector.jpg

The kick plate lamps are powered from the BCM Battery-Saver circuit and grounded through the door switch for the particular door. The passenger side would go to the Dk Green wire for the RH door. The Battery-Saver still doesn't have it's own fuse, it's integral to the BCM. These layouts are generally standardized from year to year but not between years, so you should try to confirm the functions of any wires you want to use before assuming the colors match. The Battery-Saver kills the dome lights after 15~30 minutes depending on model, so when your dome lights time out with a door open you should also see a test lamp on the Saver circuit go out.

If you want to remind me on Wednesday morning, I'll be back in the shop and can pull up the exact connector layout for your M from ASIST.
So, I was about to replace the existing wiring this morning with the new assembly that came with my replacement set, and as I was disassembling it I found a dedicated fuse that was blown. I. He led the replacement wiring and it came with a new fuse. Popped it in and it works! Didn’t have to rewire. I’m posting from my phone, so I’m not sure if my pics will show up. If not, I’ll post when I’m in front of my computer I’ll add them. [/img]https://i.imgur.com/BuuAjro.jpg[/img]

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That would be really odd for a Nissan product, although I won't say impossible because the M's are kind of special. The factory accessory circuits already have circuit breakers inside the BCM, so I'd say the most likely explanation is that the plates are aftermarket.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:22 pm
That would be really odd for a Nissan product, although I won't say impossible because the M's are kind of special. The factory accessory circuits already have circuit breakers inside the BCM, so I'd say the most likely explanation is that the plates are aftermarket.
They aren’t. What I received is an exact match to what was already there.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Here it is…

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Special. :)

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:29 pm
Special. :)
I’m actually glad this was the problem. If it wasn’t I was going to have to remove the old wiring that connects to both kick plates to install the new. This was a much simpler solution. The old kick plate on the drivers side was corroded due to moisture.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Here’s the old kick plate. Corroded by moisture.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Big_Tone wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:05 pm
Oh, heck yes. That could definitely pop a fuse.

I think I figured out why it has one. I know firsthand that because they were a high-end car made in low numbers, some of the electronics on the M's literally didn't change from the first one made to the last one. Over at Nissan we see the same thing with Z's, performance improvements are made but the electronics and interiors evolve at two speeds, slow and never. The earliest option connectors were on cars with no BCM and in some cases not even an SEC. I think that's what happened here, the designers pirated the accessory design from a much older ride and never bothered evolving it. Hence, a 90's fuse in a 2011 accessory.
:chuckle:

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:42 pm
Big_Tone wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:05 pm
Oh, heck yes. That could definitely pop a fuse.

I think I figured out why it has one. I know firsthand that because they were a high-end car made in low numbers, some of the electronics on the M's literally didn't change from the first one made to the last one. Over at Nissan we see the same thing with Z's, performance improvements are made but the electronics and interiors evolve at two speeds, slow and never. The earliest option connectors were on cars with no BCM and in some cases not even an SEC. I think that's what happened here, the designers pirated the accessory design from a much older ride and never bothered evolving it. Hence, a 90's fuse in a 2011 accessory.
:chuckle:
Yeah. What's funny is while looking up this thread after fixing the problem I found a post I put up in 2019 that I totally forgot about. Someone else mentioned this fuse. I couldn't find it at the time, but saw it once I started taking everything apart.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”