Ignition Timing

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
drewsrblacktop
Car: s13 sr20det blacktop

so i finished putting a new garrett gtx28 turbo on my s13 sr20det blacktop in the process i put a new valve cover gasket and cps gasket i drove the car for about 500miles and other then running lean at idle runs good

But then I had the bright idea to check my ignition timing with a timing light I checked it and it was way off all the way past the last notch to the right on the crank pulley

so i put the car in timing mode and adjusted it to the second notch from the left then took it down the street and it runs terrible it hesitates coming out of first gear and has an over all loss of power

I should mention that when i unplugged the cps sensor to put it in timing mode the cars idle would not drop below 1,500 rpms so i turned the screw on the idle air control valve until idle was at 900rpms

What could be the issue my car was running good and fast when retarded but when set correctly runs like s*** :wtf2:

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi there and welcome to NICO Club! I'm not 100% positive, but I think you set your timing to the wrong mark. From left to right, looking at the marks on top of the pulley, you have -5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20. If you set timing to second from the left, you are at 0 (zero). My KA uses 20 degrees. I think yours is to be at 15 degrees. That is the ignition timing.

"2nd notch from the left" is a proper timing for the cam gear for crank angle though. Either I'm mixing up what you're saying or your mixing up your settings and where they should be. I think you're mixing up the settings. If so, cop to it and let us know so we can be sure you're all set! :) Maybe this thread will help you...
how-to-set-your-srs-timing-in-30-minute ... 98297.html
in there you'll see another link to FR-Sport with further instruction and pictures.

drewsrblacktop

I have it set to 0 currently. I lined up the CAS to the cam with the dots when I installed it. However now I'm trying to align the pin and the second notch from the left "0" while i have the timing light on it. Honestly now I'm really confused.

drewsrblacktop

After a little more research you are correct, it is supposed to be 15 degrees not 0. Thanks!

centralcoaster33

So, is it running better now or are you still fiddling with it? :)

drewsrblacktop

i just set it to 15 took it down the street and raced one of those 3.8L genesis and left it in the dust! runs perfect now thanks! and those garret gtx turbos are no joke

centralcoaster33

F-Yeah! :dblthumb:

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”