Ignition Timing

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
cukali

I have two built KA24DEs turbocharged and running one with Megasquirt custom built with COP and full sequential. I have the other running a standalone AEM Series 2. I have a narrow band knock sensor (from a K24A1) mounted.

My dilema is that I have blown two head gaskets in cylinder #4 on one of the engines. Head was milled and so was the block. They check out perfectly. One gasket was a solid copper the other was a factory. Copper blew first I decided with the stock one for safety reasons. I do NOT mind changing head gaskets. At the moment I feel there is a mechanical problem I have not found. Possibly a bad injector, bad valve, or wrong valve lash. Without reading any knock this shouldnt happen. It seams to be pre-ignition event and not a detonation. Hence my thoughts on a valve issue or sticky injector. Anyway, i have a new head to go on and new injectors to go in. I will be checking everything once I get it off to find out what has been happening....

BUT I wanted to get some other people opinions on my spark advance. At 14psi, I tuned the spark and came out about 19 degrees advanced (no knock) at 14psi. This isnt unreasonable to me, I see this amount with my K series hondas. Now for all you people running something close to a 57 trim 0.63 A/R turbo, if you could tell my your all in under 14psi I would appreceiate it. At around 14 degrees its sluggish and exhaust temps seamed a bit high. I run 12:1 A/F.

9:0 Wiseco pistons
ARP head
ARP main
Ported
650cc injectors (swapping to an AEM with 1200s for E85)
Custom tubular equal length manigold (SCH 10 SS)
Valve guide ground back and agressively ported (Possibly the valve may now be getting to hot)

Thanks guys.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I think the factory map is 19*. The stock MAP can be found here, http://rs-enthalpy.com/tech-info/

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”