ignition systems

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Spectre
Car: 1995 240sx se

Hey can anyone recommend a good ignition system. I don't mean just wires, I'm talkin full set-up. Thanx :)

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

Ive heard nothing but good things about Jacob's Ignition Systems.They'll run in the 3 or 400 range.:D Saving-up for mine.

trpower7

I'm somewhat particular to the MSD systems, they have just been around so long and have such a good reputation. I wouldn't look for that much more of a performance increase with just an ignition, and be sure to get one that night fit your needs in the future. For example, a good MSD system will work great for you if you choose to go turbo (Jacobs might too, not sure). I think the MSD 6-AL is the most popular for our cars, and not too terrible to wire up. Be sure to get a coil pack too!

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

Unless your running big boost your not going to notice a difference. I did the full Crane ignition kit on my old KA24DE that had about all the bolt on mods short of a set of cams and I noticed absolutly no gain. If your running over like 10lbs of boost maybe... but I have buddy's doing 20+psi on the stock system.

The stock ignition system is great, and anybody who says they gained HP from an ignition is either lying, or their stock stuff was not working right.

PaulOrlando, FL

trpower7

This is very true, I've seen some people use the MSD just for ****s and giggles, and to clean up the engine bay a bit, and some claim results and some don't. I also have noticed that Nissan wants $165 for a damn coil!!! You can get the MSD unit for that, and a matching coil for $25 more. I guess that's why I even looked into it.......

Spectre

I know that I won't get much power, but I like the gains that I would get. Would I be able to control ignition timing, or would I have to buy another part for that? How would I go about ordering a system?

trpower7

I don't know the particulars of each unit, timing would be somethign easier done at the distributor with a timing light, but you can order the MSD unit at http://www.summitracing.com

Spectre

I'm really thinking of Jacobs, but MSD is not out of the question. I just need to make up my mind. My only problem with Jacobs is that I live in the same state as them. I need to find an online distributor to buy their system, or I pay sales tax.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

I installed a MSD-6AL ignition system about 4 years ago to solve a pesky problem of running too rich, and it solved it. I like the MSD, have no complaints about any other system, but i strongly suggest that, if you have a factory tachometer, you will definately want to purchase the optional tach adaptor, otherwise, you won't have a factory tachometer.

tkrolo
Car: CARS, sports, a/v

I've got the MSD SCI. Had it about six months. I noticed much smoother idle and easier revs. The car started acting up a few months later so I really haven't experienced the full potential of the system. I have ordered a new coil and wires to realize the most gain. The difference between that and the stock system is that it sparks for 20% of the cycle so it should (theoretically) burn more efficiently as well.

scyan

They are the way to go, Jacobs. Got one in my 1992 hatch and it rocks.. basically rocks, better gas mileage and you can actually feel a difference, the engine seems to rev a lot better, it <<feels>> lighter... ;)

Scy

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”