ignition cylinder

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
emtdpf
Car: 1993 Nissan Altima

Afternoon, first time poster here, have been using the forum to work on a 93 Altima that was given to us after the daughter blew up her jeep motor.

Waterpump fixed, new belt, new alternator, little bit of body work, worked on the sun roof so now it opens and closes when you hit the switch.

I have one nagging problem. The low battery light and the brake light, flicker on and off, I cant seem to pinpoint the exact circumstances, but have narrow things down a bit .

Like I mentioned above, I did replace the alternator with a "reman" from Advanced auto, I didn't have to pay for it, so i'm not being picky. I did take off the body grounds last night and clean them up, they were not all that bad.

The next couple of culprits are, the key cylinder, when you turn the car on, and let the key go, it seems to not come back all the way, causing the, wipers, radio, and clock to not engage. If I tweek the key back towards me, I hear a.......click, and the clock and radio and the wipers are there for me to use.

I have looked at the wiring diagrams and see that the ignition cylinder supplies power to these two lights, and I am suspecting that if I am having problems with the key, that this might have some bearing on whats happening with the lights.

I have done a search and gone through the pages of stuff on the key cylinders, and I have skimmed through the manual that is on line here, but I can not find anywhere that it shows on how to change out the ignition cylinder.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Sorry for being long winded, but the more info divulged, the better diagnosis.

thanks in advance for any and all responses.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

one must drill out the special set screws for the ignition lock, and then buy the shear head screws for re-installing the new lock/switch cylinder.gen-u-ine parts at 25% off from our sponsors, call Infiniti of Scottsdale 1-866-374-2645.see other post i just responded to about alternator also.

emtdpf
Car: 1993 Nissan Altima

Sorry have not been back here to check or update.

I replace the battery with a brand new one, started the car, and instantly got the flashing lights.........hm

Took my mutli meter, checked the battery while running.......holy crap, 17.5 volts....something wrong.Check the alternator plus and minus posts.....18 volts...... turn off the car dont want to fry the battery.

Brought the alternator back to Advanced Auto, got another replacement.....voila..... working, no problem.

and for the key cylinder...... gonna keep for now.

brought it to inspection and it failed but not for that reason, I have to fix a few "holes"

I do appreceiate the response.regards

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”