ignition cylinder swap – what happens to original chip key ?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
ChillyB
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback

Hello Team NISSAN !
2007 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback CVT Transmission
For a while now (months actually) I have had a lot of trouble with the chip key in the ignition not turning to start. It would act as if the key was ‘caught’ or ‘hung up’ – many sprays of WD40 and twisting and inserting/removing the key would eventually turn and the vehicle would start.
Well I am now at the “no tricks work’ stage and that key will not turn. Period. (key comes in and out of the ignition – but will not turn) … WD40 = nope … Rubber mallet whacks as seen on youtube = nope.
After much internet research / video viewing – I feel the next step is to replace the cylinder with a used one from a junk yard /eBay.

My questions / confusion is: what happens to the original factory chip key?
Is the vehicle ‘coded’ to the chip key? Or is the cylinder ‘coded’ to the chip key?
Do I use the replacement chip key to start the vehicle – BUT the original factory chip key needs to be within very close proximity of the cylinder in order to actually start?
Can anyone fill in the blanks for me, and/or add more info I haven’t considered?

Thank you !

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:
One of the main reasons why your car key might not be working is simply because the car key is damaged. If the grooves on the key are altered over time, and the key is no longer able to operate the internal mechanism of the lock, it is potentially damaged and this is probably one of the reasons why your car key is not working.
I think I would have replaced the worn key before pounding it in with the rubber mallet. Not sure if just replacing the key will solve your problem now. BTW, Is this your only key?

ChillyB
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback

** I own only ONE key for this vehicle **

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”