If your paint-job is absolutely terribble - not rust, the prior owner painted it w/ a paint-brush - DIY re-paint?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Heart.My.95.Hardbody
Car: 1995 D21 Hardbody 4 cylinder automatic

I got an old (95) pickup/d21 almost 2mo ago, anyways it was originally that teal-ish green color (which I like!) but the guy re-painted it, and I mean he literally got a hunter-green paint and a brush and painted ~95% of the original teal-green to a hunter-green. It's atrocious. I want to do a cheap job of a similar-enough green over it.

I can't pay for a "real" paint job, not even the worst types - I've seen rattle-can jobs that were pass-able (for older vehicles, don't think I've ever seen one that could pass as a real paint job), and, after spending many years doing custom BMX's, I'm pretty confident in my ability to properly prep & apply the paint to the truck....I'm posting here because I don't want to spend X$ on Xcans of rattle spray (would probably go w/ rustoleum and not top/clear coat it, would be using the closest green to what I've currently got, unsure if not planning a top-coat is moronic) and all that time on prep just to see the paint start peeling in several months!! I live in FL which isn't the nicest to paint lol, although at least there's no road-ice (further, I only local-drive 99% of the time so never going fast which increases chips, at least to the front & near wheel-wells!)

Thanks a ton for any advice/thoughts/etc on this, I don't want to undertake it if it's a bad move, I mean yes I can find videos where people swear how great rattle-jobs can be but can also find people saying to not do it so hoping for opinions here, thank you!!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I've seen some come out awesome and some come out really really bad, and I have no idea what the difference in the 2 methods is haha.
Good luck though!

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Have you considered vinyl wrapping it?

Return to “General Chat”