If you are considering a Ghibli ... DON'T

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I've been seeing more and more of these about town and I wondered what people saw in them. I decided to see if they allow test drives. Turns out they do - with some hoops that must be jumped through first. You must get pre-approved, including credit rank, driver's license, and insurance. You must set an appointment, you must be in full COVID get-up, and you must drive it alone.
Fetucini and I went to a local dealer. There is no walking the lot or chatting with a sales person over a cuppa tea. You look at the inventory online and choose, or you tell them the model and options you want and they will arrange a car that is close as possible.
I drove a Ghibli-S: Bianco Alpi (a pearl white) with Cuoio (camel) seating and dash. I wanted a deep red interior but they had nothing but black or camel. It had the tech kit, and the upgraded stereo. It looked very nice but there was something that didn't 'seem' right for a Maserati. Fetucini waited in my car while I drove it, them we swapped and she drove it. At the end, the sales person had me drop the key into a plastic bag and we said goodbye. The car was freshly sanitized before we drove it and now it remained outside until it could be disinfected (including the key) and sent back into the parking garage. Fetucini and I looked at each other and we both just shrugged and started discussing lunch ideas. That's how impressed we were.
Here is why it all went downhill. First, it's only a V6. It makes 424 bhp and 428 torques, but still it's a little 3 liter twin turbo V6. That's way more power than an engine this size should make and that added stress and strain will take its toll over time. At home, I did some research. Turns out it isn't really a Maserati. it's Chrysler/Fiat and that engine is based on the pentastar V6 that is built in Detroit by Chrysler and Maserati heads are added to make it look like something it is not. Hardly the Ferrari-built engine you might expect. It sits on a Chrysler 300 frame and has the same fit and finish as a Chrysler - uneven door sills, body panels with varying spaces, and a cheap plastic grille. It has a ZF-8 transmission like the Chrysler 300, Audi, and BMW. The quality of the interior is also a let down. The switches are cheap black plastic like any other american car, and the leather is not even close to what you expect in an Italian sports sedan. The design of the dash has that square protuberance in the center stack that will remind you of the 300c. Granted, it appears to be very posh, but still has the semi-hard plastic parts that is more like a Q50. It even has the Chrysler U-connect screen but the Chrysler/Dodge badges are swapped for the prestigious Maz badge.
In short, this is a mass produced and stamped body and interior that you would expect if you took your Cadillac to a custom shop and said 'make it look more posh'. The headliner is a faux suede - even Genesis uses real alcantara. Changing from normal to sport mode makes a noticeable exhaust sound but I'm not so sure it's really the actual exhaust and not one of those sound scapes that is created by the stereo. It just doesn't meet my expectations of driving a Maserati.
It has absolutely NO Italian flair or character. What really put me off was the price. The window sticker for the Ghibli-S has a base of $77,000. This had lots of options: 20" wheels ($2,300), caliper covers ($500), tech package ($1,600), climate package ($600), Harman Kardon stereo ($1,100), sport steering wheel ($500), ventilated seats ($1,700), and a few other add-ons. The sticker (with over $12,000 in options) topped out at $89,435. The sale sticker showed $81,999. This is priced like a true Italian sports sedan, but its 80%^ Chrysler/Fiat and 20% quasi-Italian. Oh! I almost forgot. It has a Maserati clock on the dash. I'm guessing people buy these for the name, the badges, and what used to be a treasured heritage and well-grounded pedigree. Since it's just a Chrysler now, it might be as reliable as a Chrysler (but at 2.5 times the price).

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

wow that is quite a write up thanks

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

The reason you see people buying them all the time is not that they buy them new, they are a terrible deal when new. People buy them used with only about 10-20 thousand miles on the car for $30k. There are very few if any other sports cars with this amount of power, driving ability, style, and luxury for the 30k price, especially when you can buy them for that basically brand new. Also the Ferrari engine they have sounds pretty nice, even if it is a mass-produced assembly line built Ferrari engine. I am pretty sure most people buying them do not expect the Ferrari engine to have some great longevity, they are not known for that.

Back when I drove one last year, I too was disappointed by the fake leather and plastic in the car. It seems rather cheap for what they want to charge new. However, for $30k, it is a good deal on the car.

As for the exhaust, going into sport mode opens up the mufflers so it sounds louder and deeper. When not in sport mode, the muffler gets closed down to a single outlet and takes a more "roundabout" way through the muffler. This is the same as many BMWs.

Forum429
Car: Current:
Nissan R35 GT-R
Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80
Honda Civic Si FG2
Lexus XE30 IS350
Previous:
G35 Coupe
G35 Sedan
G35x Sedan
Volvo S60R

I just drove one few months ago and I was truly disappointed as well.
The car is poorly finished and the infotainment system looks like it's from 1999.
I wouldn't worry about stressing the engine with turbos tho.
Turbo is not new anymore and many manufacturers use turbochargers on their vehicles for fuel economy.
Exhaust sounds really nice.
FYI I can't really find any warranty company that will offer extended warranty on a Maserati.
Even as bad as Range Rovers there's always someone offer extended warranty but just cost a fortune.
I couldn't find any extended warranty company warranty for a Gihbli or a Quattroporte.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

LOL, yah. Finding an extended warranty is like a leper finding life insurance. That ship sailed ... and sank. Probably one of the best sounding engines, strikingly beautiful italian design, but better off as a driveway decoration than actual transportation.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”