Idling Problem

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Okay, when my car idles at stop lights, etc, it makes a sort of whiny noise and the car vibrates. It also makes this whiny noise when I drive; however, the vibrating stops or at least appears to. Also, when I put the car in neutral or park after idling, the RPMs go up from 800 to 2000 and then back down again. Help!!!!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

This may be tranny related rather than an engine problem,What is the level of your tranny fluid (measure carefullly and at "hot" side of dipstick).

(I had similiar problem in 2 Q's both times low tranny fluid. once due to bad seal the othertime I never found out for sure, was very cold when problem occured, so I speculated that my level may have been marginal and the fluid volume loss due to cold had put the volume below tolerable levels)

Other than that whiny noises are never good I leave the rest of teh diagnosis up to the Guru's.

Fred...:)

(Didn't you just get a tranny rebuild? One of the two times I had that problem I had also just received a tranny rebuild,)

90Q45blue

I called the tranny guys and I'm gonna take it in tomorrow for them to have a look. If anyone has any other ideas as to what it might be let me know. I'll tell you how the doctor's appt goes :)

Nick

DougQ45
Car: Q45, porsche 928 S 5 speed

Had the same problem as Fred. Twice.

DougQ45

Was a quart or so low on tranny fluid both times. It is imperative to follow the repair manual to test the fluid level. The car must be driven till hot, then parked (engine running) on a level surface, then run the gear slecetor through all gears, then check level immedately. Make sure you check the proper "hot" side of the dipstick.

90Q45blue

I still have the very rough idle and the whiny noise in my car. I had more tranny fluid put in but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

DougQ45 wrote:Was a quart or so low on tranny fluid both times. It is imperative to follow the repair manual to test the fluid level. The car must be driven till hot, then parked (engine running) on a level surface, then run the gear slecetor through all gears, then check level immedately. Make sure you check the proper "hot" side of the dipstick.
I know this is gonna sound retarded, but mine's so hard to check because the ATF is SUPER clean, and it's all over the end of the stick (probably splashing about). Hard to get a good, clean cut-off reading on the fluid level. Any thoughts? Is there an "overflow" port somewhere or will an overfilled situation damage the trans?

(I'm hoping it's half a qt low so i can put in a bottle of Lubeguard.)

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

I don't know if this applies to the Q in particular, but overfilling fluids on many cars can lead to ruptured seals.

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

I haad a lot of trouble checking mine too. Now I park it hot, let it settle for 10 minutes, restart and leave at idle, shift into reverse and drive, check it in park.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Generally a whiny tranny indicates fluid starvation from a blocked interior filter or a restricted in radiator heat exchanger [or worse a worn out pump seal]. The cooled /heated ATF returns to the rear planetary first then to the pan.

Have the time per quart pumped at the heat exchanger checked, it should be 3.5 - 3.7 quarts per minute in park at normal 750 rpm warm idle. Really bad ones only flow 2.5 or less quarts per minute.

90Q45blue

Ok, I'm gonna take my car into Major Infiniti in Kansas City on Thursday and have them check out what you suggested Q45Tech. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I should have checked out while I'm there? Also, does anyone have an opinion on Major Infiniti. I haven't really heard anything about them.

P.S. Just rolled over 243k yesterday :)

Nick

90Q45blue

Ok guys. I took my car to Major Inifiniti today. They did a diagnostic and determined the following:My car is making the whining noise because the power steering pump is going out. They quoted me a new one at 766.90. They also said my power steering and other hoses are leaking. They said they would replace all my hoses for 1,375.00. Also, they said my idle is rough and performance is bad because the MAF is bad. A new one they say will cost 790.00. Also, they say I need to replace the temp sensor for 349.00. Help me with triage and price. I have a feeling they are over-charging me. Please help with whatever you can do. Thanks guys!

Nick

DAEDALUS

Well, over-charging is a relative term if there ever was one, but I think they're over-charging you too as much as I think Carrot-Top should be hit by a bus (my opinion, I'm not being libellous). You can always ask if they'll install parts you supply them, but if they're greedy I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll give you a call halfway through the job and ask you, in a very concerned voice, how long you plan on keeping the car. "As long as possible", you'll say. "Well, then, Nick, it's a good thing we opened it up when we did. Another 1000 miles, and your car would REALLY need a lot of work. Fortunately, we're only going to need another $3000 to get it back on the road." Most of the work, and probably all of it, can be done by an independent shop. Nothing you mentioned is Infiniti-specific or critical, as far as I can recall. Heck, the MAF is super easy, not that I'm convinced you really do need a new one. Which temp sensor needs to be replaced?

90Q45blue

How would I go about getting the parts for cheaper then since I think I have a mechanic that will install parts for me. Also, I'm kind of retarded when it comes to parts and stuff. Let me know where to get the good stuff for cheap. They said the temp sensors, thermostat and fan need to be replaced on the engine I think.

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

holy crap! turn around and walk away proudly displaying the finger. i wouldn't know rather or not to trust their 'diagnostics' with pricing like that. if hoses are leaking tighten them. you can very very easily do a MAF and temp sensor yourself. try putting some PS fluid because it's probably low and see if the noise goes away. if so your pump is fine. i believe once q45tech mentioned he has rarely ever heard of a PS pump going out.

suddenly the dealer section doesn't sound that bad.

DAEDALUS

Do a search for solutions to the repairs you need. I know at least a couple of them have been dealt with not too far back. As far as cheap parts, there are a few places, including these:http://www.infinitipartsusa.comhttp://w ... parts.comI usually go with the first one myself, but the prices and service are comparable between the two. Mayhem_J30 pointed out that the 2nd one is currently offering free surface freight from their shop in AZ.Your mechanic shouldn't have a problem with any of the work, but if he does let us know.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Also often MAF problems are often not the MAF itself, but just the MAF connector.

Which is not nearly as expensive.

Also some members had succes in having local (non dealer) shops MAKE powersteering hoses for low cost.

Fred...:)

90Q45blue

Thanks for the information guys. It's nice to be able to have a free set of mechanics here that don't try to screw me over and don't charge a labor rate :)

I will look into the MAF connector. My old mechanic removed and replaced all hoses three months ago so he will be fixing that problem free of charge. I will make sure he uses the OEM hoses, cuz hell, i don't have to pay for it and let's just say he lost me quite a pretty penny with some of his follies.

I'm gonna go get some PS fluid tomorrow and see if that helps. I hope it does but if it doesn't: when I need to get the PS pump...do I just need the pump for 341.00? or is there anything else i need?

Also, should i do the temp sensors? Thanks for all your help.

Nick

DAEDALUS

I'm already wary of your "old mechanic" if his methods are so shoddy, but I don't trust the dealer either so I would hope you can verify the leaks on your own. If your mechanic has to fix his work, then I agree you won't have to pay for labor, but I should expect you'll have to pay the difference between the parts' prices. Where did you get the $341 quote? Not sure what else you would need, but I'm guessing new seals would be in order. The temp sensors are cheap, but are the kind of thing you replace "while you're in there". You might be able to determine if they're good by taking a resistance measurement.

MarkQ45

I am having the same problem with my 92 Q. The PS is making a squeeling sound. The fluid level is fine and I do not see any leaking problems with the hoses. How do I do a MAF, MAF connector and temp sensor test?

Mark

Sopdadope

Wow, those prices are a bit on the high side....just a bit. :rolleyes

See,when I make purchases for the Q, I don't make 'em alone. For my convenience, I have these two itty-bitty lil fellas with me at all times, one on each shoulder. One's named Arthur, he's always dressed up in a nice suit, coke bottle glasses with his briefcase always at his side and pen protector neatly tucked away; his appearance is always proper and dapper. The other guy's Joe, he's this big fat, shirtless, hairy-chested, jack daniel's sipping middle-aged man who doesn't like to sugarcoat things.

Now if I was told my power-steering pump was going the first thing I'd hear is Arthur. He'd say something like "Well, since power-steering pumps, ultimately, have a finite life. It's economical to purchase a power-steering pump from a relatively low-mileage Q, meaning one with 50k-75k on the odo for less around $70. Such an item can be found at http://www.car-parts.com. Please note to ask the seller everything you need to know: the condition of the item, the mileage of the vehicle, the cause of it's demise." Here's where Joe would step in, with a deep, smoke-burnt voice, he'd say "Awww c'mon, it's only $380 bucks. It's plug and play baby, you KNOW you'll be getting a brand-spankin new pump that's in puuuurrrrfect condition. Best of all, you'll be the first to write a chapter in it's book and we both know you like being the first author, the only author in a lot of things books, now dontcha? "

:D Ahhh decisions, decisions....

DougQ45

I think you are getting porked!!! The MAF can be replaced in 10- 15 minutes. As Fred mentioned the connections can be replaced with a new kit ($14) which I have a spare if you need. Tap on the connector with the car running and see if it effects your idle. If it does it is a connection. All of the hoese leak eventually. Do you want to drop $1300?? to fix, or just add fluid 1x a month at $3 per quart?? I just replaced my temp sensor which is a $23 to $28 part, in about 15 minutes. If your have a deep well socket you can do it!!!

firedane
Car: gearhead, restore old houses, computers

Go get a quote from a good independent shop. The prices you are quoting seem extreme to me. If your Q is not active suspension, or Hicas the P/S pump is a straight forward job. The other items are "plug and play, baby". If the pump really is bad, consider a remanufactured or used unit. Also, call Infiniti of Scottsdale or one of the other places mentioned and get prices.

firedane

90Q45blue

Just thought I'd give you guys an update. I found a Q45 in Springfield, MO that has only 100k on it and the tranny went out so they sold it to a salvage yard. I bought the P/S pump and the MAF off the car and each has a 2-year 20k warranty. I bought them for 60 and 70 respectively. I also ordered Tokico blues and temp sensors from Scottsdale. I'm gonna have my uncle do all the work for me so labor will be extra cheap. :)

Oh and by the way, I personally do not recommend Major Inifiniti. They were rude to me and quoted me way too high on price and labor. They were by far one of the worst infiniti dealers I personally have dealt with. (see how i avoid libel :) )

Thanks for your help. If you have any other suggestions/advice, let me know.

Nick

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”