idler sprocket install with tension?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
NickSif
Car: 97 Nissan Altima

I need some advice on how to get my idler sprocket to line up with the sprocket bolt hole on the head. Im about a half inch low in alignment. I think when I released the new lower tensioner with no resistance it made the chain too tight for the reinstall of the sprocket. Is there a way to reload the tensioner with out taking off the timing cover? I have already taken the motor out and I would prefer not to again. How does this lower tensioner work? Spring loaded or some type of locking track? Can I force it backwards with a screw driver or is it designed not to go back in with out some other release button pressed? Also this is a replacement timing kit and the new idler sprocket does not have any holes in it to use a screw driver to pry it up. Please need help! Its a 97 nissan altima ka24de.

Nick

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

I'm sorry to reply so late. The tensioner can be pushed back by hand, and the pin that holds it can be reinserted. It has mild spring pressure, but is actually hydraulic, and works off oil pressure once the engine is running. You may also be able to have an assistant hold the tensioner back while you install the idler sprocket.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”