Idle too high

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Alan
Car: Cars, cars, scooters

Took my wife's '92 Q in for an oil change this am, it idled about 1300 rpm on start up, and stayed around there for about 5 minutes. Idle dropped when I put it in drive, but shot back up in neutral. Finally dropped back to normal 600 + or-, and ran fine. The shop doing the lof is just a reliable local place, but not at all versed in Infiniti, so I don't reallly want to have them work on the problem without a little guidance. Dennis, are you out there ? Anyone else? Thanks, Alan

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Startup idle is a function of coolant temperature. 1300-1500 is quite normal in cooler weather but the speed should drop progressively pretty fast within 5 minutes as the coolant warms to 176F.

There are some critical and hard [difficult to get just right] adjust ment screws on the throttle body which determine the mechanical lift on the throttle. Don't let anyone except the dealership Master Tech even think of turning these screws as they were set and sealed [white paint] at the factory and never should require adjustment ---Even a quarter of a turn!!!!!!!!!

The IAC usually has enought range to raise the idle speed to around 1200 rpm to prevent stalling when you suddenly lift off accelerator. As the speed coasts below 35 mph the IAC reduces this action in steps 35mph= 1165 rpm, then 30= 1000, 25= 832 rpm, then 750 idle speed. All the while during the coast down the tranny is downshifting to be ready for 2nd gear at next acceleration.

If the idle speed warm in neutral is not 750 rpm and the same or at least 650 rpm in drive ac on.......there is dirt and crud build up in the intake system which must be cleaned since the computer is constantly trying to hold the speed in that range .......unless someone misadjusted the system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan
Car: Cars, cars, scooters

Thank you Dennis. You are an incredible resource, and so generous with your time and knowledge! It was cool this a.m. in beautiful N CA ,( hey maybe you want to move here and open a shop?!) so I would say all is functioning fine. Since it's not my car, I never noticed the high idle before. My wife is driving my '88 Jag XJ 6, I am sure she'll remind me it is a piece of s**t compared to her Q, when she gets home. Again, thanks Alan

Driving WIFE'S car!!

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

90-95 was an intermediate year in that we were transitioning from almost no control [mechanical dodads] to current full control " drive by wire" with no mechanical connection between accelerator pedal and the engine.Soon electric steering and brakes will do the "correct thing" and protect the car from the non precision [mistakes] of the driver.

They are working on "chemistry labs on a chip" which will analyse the fluids you purchase and warn you or disable the car if out of spec.......now if they would only do this with brake pads and tires instead of just worrying about inflation monitors.

Driving monitors [measuring your skill level by how you apply brakes and turn,accelerate, etc.] [all to retrofit your teenagers car as we speak] are next to warn Police [parents] after the car self issues you a ticket and automatically deducts the fine from your ATM and adds points to your license via your cellphone.

Millions are being spent currently.....hundreds/thousands of engineers are at work!

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

Q45tech wrote:90-95 was an intermediate year in that we were transitioning from almost no control [mechanical dodads] to current full control " drive by wire" with no mechanical connection between accelerator pedal and the engine.Soon electric steering and brakes will do the "correct thing" and protect the car from the non precision [mistakes] of the driver.

They are working on "chemistry labs on a chip" which will analyse the fluids you purchase and warn you or disable the car if out of spec.......now if they would only do this with brake pads and tires instead of just worrying about inflation monitors.

Driving monitors [measuring your skill level by how you apply brakes and turn,accelerate, etc.] [all to retrofit your teenagers car as we speak] are next to warn Police [parents] after the car self issues you a ticket and automatically deducts the fine from your ATM and adds points to your license via your cellphone.

Millions are being spent currently.....hundreds/thousands of engineers are at work!
sounds like a nightmare and an invasion of privacy.

DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

alot of people will get rid of those personal privacy's to feel/be safer. Not for me all people have to do is learn about the product and use common sense but now adays everyone is just to lazy.

just my 2 cents

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

I was riding with a friend who was driving his Dad's '96 BMW 328i.... Dad rarely lets him drive it, but Dad set the on-board computer to beep at you if the car exceeds 80 mph (displays "limit 80 mph" on display). Thought that was kinda neat... just a friendly reminder to slow down.

As for the high idle, shortly after I got my '92 Q in late '99, my idle would sometimes jump as high as 2200 rpm in park when the engine was WARM. Took two trips to the dealer to fix, and all the fix said was "adjusted idle". I'm sure it's an ususual problem, but happened to me too. Has been fine since then.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”