Idle issues solved though experimentation

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
kbk67
Car: 1983 Nissan 720 long bed 4X4 2.4

Hi Guys, I have a 1983 Nissan 720 with a 2.4 motor. I have spilled my blood with idle problems, hesitation at take off, and missing and stumbling engine performance. Many, if not all of the problems have been described in this forum. I write this in order to save you the frustration that I have experienced with my truck. My truck started bucking and stumbling and then dying at idle over and over. I read some of the ideas expressed here and tried all of them. the bottom line is that for me it came down to a blown choke relay (under the dash) and a rebuilt carb. My truck is fixed! And when I say fixed, I mean running like new! So keep in mind that if your carb is shot or gummed up or whatever, you are not going to fix you problem with vacuum lines or adjusting the timing or adjusting the valves. Believe me when I say that I tried all of these repairs but it was just a exercise in futility. I bought my carb on e-bay and could not be happier with my purchase. FINALLY this truck is running right again! Make sure that you get the correct carb for your truck and don't go for one of those Chinese knock off's for $85.00. I bought a rebuilt Hitachi with electric choke and attached dash pot made for my California Truck. I know a lot of guys are buying the Weber carb but it is not California compliant and won't pass a visual inspection here in California. Good Luck!

Return to “Datsun 720”