Well this is the perfect thread to continue talking about this DIY maintenance / tune up.... I scared myself a little after I finished, then called the dealer and they scared the s*** out of me! Ready for a long, short-story?
Got myself the OEM plugs, throttle body and MAF cleaners and then started my adventure. It is more than hot here in the Desert right now, so I tried to do a little the night before to get a head start.
removed my K&N' filters and sprayed the cleaner on them, washed out the dirt and crud and then re-oiled..let them sit.
Unplugged my negative battery terminal.
Removed the MAF sensors too and gave them both a good squirting...I let them dry overnight also.
Removed the hoses and got to the throttle body. Soon realized my allen-head wrenches were beat to hell and some rounded corners, so I went that night to get a new, nice set.
The next morning, I removed the throttle bodies and they were MORE than disgustingly filthy. No wonder my car was doing the start/stall thing every once in a while and my MPG had dropped to 17. Gave the driver's side TB a good cleaning. (maybe too good?) I had read conflicting info on the cleaning technique and if you were allowed to move the butterfly valve or not. Needless to say, I moved the hell out of it and scrubbed that sucker clean (thank you, OCD)
Next, went to remove my plugs and thanks to my ricer sons and their constant engine/exhaust/wheel changes/coil-over adjustments and camber tweaks, they had 'misplaced' my extensions and my deep sockets..
so back to the store. Got a super nice extension set and some color-coded deep sockets. (14mm for our skinny plugs)
Removed and replaced the plugs. All removed nice and easily and all looked like they were definitely ready for a change.
Repeat the process on the passenger side.
Put the puppy back together.
Start her up.. something is whacked... no throttle response at all.. It has to be a silly connector that I didn't get clicked in all the way... Took the engine cover off and YEP - passenger side TB connection wasn't fully connected. So I re-connected it.
Start her up again, definite throttle response... then I let it idle. it would bounce from 1700 rpm down to 800 rpm, and back up, and back down.. I thought it would fix itself, so I walked away and drank a few bottles of gatorade...went back to the garage and there was no change. The idle is still screwed up.
Sooo... I went back to the forums (searched on the G37 since there is a ton more info for the same damn motor) and then realized I shouldn't have been so aggressive cleaning the butterfly valve and the TB where the valve closes, but I should be able to do the idle re-learn and the throttle position relearn on/off tap dance with the gas pedal. I tried a dozen times and couldn't get any change....so, I called the fearless Stealership and asked how much they would charge to do these re-learning procedures for me...of course, they asked for the story and I told them what I had cleaned and they tried to tell me that I damaged my Throttle Bodies and I should come in and have them confirm that and replace them.
Sooo... I make an appointment for today.
Meanwhile, I start my car back up to move it back all the way into the garage and as soon as I put it in drive, the idle came down to normal...I put it in park, all still normal!
Took it for a drive and wow - what a HUGE difference in responsiveness and smooth idle. I drove it about 100 miles or so of city driving over the weekend and MPG was almost 21! (Normally, it would be about 19 when it was running good and before the G37S exhaust)
The moral to my story is be careful when cleaning those throttle bodies, don't move the valve if you can help it and don't wait till 88K between cleanings! Doing all of those things (filters, plugs, sensors, throttle bodies) sure makes a huge difference in responsiveness.