i35 not starting after valve cover gasket replacement

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
tenelson
Car: 2002 infiniti i35

I have a 2002 Infiniti i35. It's always run great, but it has been burning oil due to leaks in the valve covers and cam sensors, so I replaced the valve covers and seals and the cam sensor o-rings this weekend. The valve covers, intake manifold, and all of the electrical plugs are back in place.

The engine will crank, but will not start. I connected an OBDII scanner to my car, and it will not connect. I verified that the scanner works on our other car, a Mazda CX-5. I checked all of the fuses and fusible links with a multimeter, and they are all intact.

I did make one error during reassembly. I had forgotten to disconnect the battery, and when I was plugging the harness in the front of the engine back in, one of the plugs (a red one), which has exposed pins, touched a ground and sparked. So I'm worried that I either damaged the ECU or security system.

The reason I'm wondering if its the security system is that, when I lock the doors (with hood closed), the security light stays on for 30 seconds, then goes out. It doesn't blink like I remember it doing.

Another part of me suspect a problem with the cam sensors. However, I never removed the sensors from their plugs, so I don't suspect any electrical problems there.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I apologize for the lateness in response here. Have you found a fix for your problem?

I have run into a similar issue like this before. It's possible that your key is acting up in it, causing it not to start. Try inserting and removing your key quickly 5-7 times and then try to start it as usual. Sometimes the chips in those keys begin to fail are trigger the security system to not lot the vehicle start.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”