I35 Ignition coils

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
seegarfan
Car: 2002 Infiniti i35

Looking for advice on replacing ignition coils during spark plug replacement. My wife's 2002 Infinti I35, 3.5l, has 138,000 miles. Owner's manual calls for plug replacement at 105,000, so I am a little behind. The vehicle runs perfectly with no outstanding codes. My question: Is is a good idea to go ahead and replace the coils ( at least the rear bank) due to the time required to remove the intake runner to replace the plugs? I understand they don't NEED replacing now, but those of you with experience with this motor, would you replace the coils at this time, considering the age of the car, which we plan on keeping at least 2 more years. No car payment until daughter graduates from college! :)

macgiver

mac, climate in your locale is biggest factor , you say running great ? a huge plus thus "chocking-up" to a strictly"maintenance move" , and very,very likely nothing really wrong w/coils , for it would be a huge - unnecessary expense - UNLESS of course , as you've asked " does anyone have( good thorough ) experience whereas someone says , like yeah # whatever coil IS USUALLY/ALWAYS a problem ! So look for any Oil accumulation in "plug tubes" ( recesses in the heads) , assess/record plug color / condition , and if you are adept w/multimeter you may number ea. coil & take Ohms readings of "plug out" to frame and between contacts in ea, conn. & record all on paper - then you got a great "baseline" IF 'n when future failure your better poised to diagnose & ONLY REPLACE the individual coil that's BAD - NOT the whole SET !! :bigthumb:To answer main point - VISUAL INSPECTION needed in my opinion only , also the "running great" implies to me EXACT replacement plug of what WAS in there - but do a verification check that they ARE what belongs there. Lastly , and much differing opinions on Irridium plugs ( NGK & Denso most popular) I do believe for my Appl's an advantage yet for you , YMMV , a possible gamble . :tisk:

seegarfan
Car: 2002 Infiniti i35

Thanks Mac, I really appreciate your input. I do have a multi-meter and know the basics on it's use. That is a good idea. I will also do a close visual inspection. From my research if there is any oil in the plug well, that will require valve cover gasket replacement, correct?
I have already purchased the new plugs ( Denso (4703) IKH16TT Iridium TT) and intake runner gasket.
When I was checking on coil prices, there is a big difference in prices. A brand name(Hitachi) or OEM coil price of one coil around $60.00,or a no-name brand will set you back $45.00 for a SET OF SIX. WTH, is up with that? Are the no-name coils completely junk?
Thanks
Mark

macgiver

mac, No the brand name is JUNK and the no-name should get flushed down the toilet :yesnod , these E-moji's really get the point across don't they . Seriously , your OEM coils - what's in the car - I bet are FAR superior to those you see availlable out in the market and I truly believe many experienced mechanics see/recognize this phenomenon quite frequently.Especially TODAY , cliche - those parts from other side of the world - what have you , any good , junk , who knows. Back then , '02 WAS QUALITY - so I again , as an opinion, me , advise against the full replace -BUT which one to buy for a backup?? :blush: Denso, Borg/Warner,NGK,Delphi,Delco,Misubishi.......
A decent sounding brand that you Google - "Denso (or whatever) coil bad? " To see if there's any NEGATIVE noise out there on the subject - use filters like that to "narrow" your decision on parts choices , of course the "advanced" search on this site you'll get clues to "the good,the bad , and the ugly? :rotfl
Lastly - you opted for sort of a mod w/IR plugs , just compare side by side the profile thread length ( so thread not protruding into "chamber) ; end of thread distance to ground ( how far TOTAL plug mtl. is IN the"chamber" ;very important for performance - how much "projected" the nose (ceramic + electrode) is out from the end of the threads , usually more projected nose (WITHOUT HITTING PISTON) gives best response/power !! :dblthumb:

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”