I35 Engine oil leak on AC Compressor

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ezlay
Car: 2003 Infiniti I35

Hey Nissan experts:
I have a slow engine oil leak on the bottom of my I35 air conditioner compressor.. If I park car, the oil leaks about 5 drops per day onto floor, so the longer parked, the more the leak. I cleaned the compressor housing bottom, restarted engine, and the oil slowly started leaking. I could see the drop forming on the bottom (see photo), but could not see the origin; I suspect oil is seeping down the mating surface of compressor housing halves from above (somewhere near alternator).

The oil leak is not near the oil filter / oil cooler/ or oil pressure sensor (those all looked dry). I recently changed both valve cover gaskets to fix this issue, but there was no change to oil leak. The front valve cover (above the alternator) does not appear to be leaking

Any ideas?
[img][/https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiZROxNQ3cBekBEcEPcny7RUPRqM]

ezlay
Car: 2003 Infiniti I35

I chose to replace the front valve cover (next to radiator) gasket again, because this seemed like the most likely source of leak. After removing most RTV from the head with a gasket scraper, I finished with scotch-brite scouring pads which worked great. Then with a new Fel-pro gasket (and the original Nissan valve cover) I was more liberal with the RTV on the valve cover to head interface, adding approx 1/8" dia RTV bead. That did the trick, no more leak!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”