I30 wind deflector

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

Hey guys,I took off the wind deflector for the sun roof on the I30(ok actually it fell off) and it had some nasty cheapo double-sided tape holding it on, plus two clamps. after picking off all the tape it has left a permenant etching into the paint. So now I'm going to put it back on. Question: Obviously it's an OEM deflector because it has an Infiniti symbol in it, but is the tape OEM? Can I put this thing back on without the tape and without harming the paint anymore then it already is?

lonallenq45

I would expect that the two-sided tape was also to help keep water from being blown by the air up under it into the open sun roof along with helping to avoid rattle and chaffing on the paint.

The tape wasn't more of a rubber seal with adhesive on both sides than just foam two-sided tape?

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

lonallenq45 wrote:I would expect that the two-sided tape was also to help keep water from being blown by the air up under it into the open sun roof along with helping to avoid rattle and chaffing on the paint.

The tape wasn't more of a rubber seal with adhesive on both sides than just foam two-sided tape?

definately not a rubber seal, because there was actually 4 different pieces of tape. so a good seal was never created. As for chaffing protection, it definately didn't protect if that's what it's supposed to do, the paint is screwed where the deflector lay. Seems like if this was an OEM product there wouldn't be nasty tape or etchings in the hood. I would expect the deflector to have a soft, paint friendly seal already built onto it and to work well. :confused:

fxjackso

I have a factory deflector on my 91Q (parts car). It is held on only by the two clips, and has a rubber seal. I've never had any problems with wind or looseness. I have taken it off to clean under it, and the clearcoat is definitely worn where the seal met the roof, although the car is 11 years old. The wear is so slight that I would think it could be buffed out, but I did not try. Based on this, you should have no problem remounting the deflctor without tape.

A related question. The deflector for the 91 is dark gray, and I like the way it looks on the black car. But, my 1990 is pearl, and so I have not moved it. Based on the other color co-ordination (the rear light panel is brown on the pearl car, gray on the black) I wondered if Infiniti made a brown color deflector for the Q. Does anyone have one or remember seeing one?

Anyone who wants a gray deflector or wil trade gray for brown contact me.

Return to “General Chat”