i30 t rough idle (cold enginge) when temp below 50

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
bcarr

Hi all,new to this forum, but I could use your input on a nagging problem with my i30t...let me explaini have 2000 i30t bought used about 5 years ago. Last spring (about 72k miles) it started having horrible cold starting problems (below 50 degrees!) and would set off check engine light etc.i brought in to mechanic and he charged me $1200 to replace all the coils (engine had code p1320), plugs and air filter; of course this didnt help. He then relaced the air flow meter. this helped, but within a week the problem returned and has gotten progressivey worse. i now need to have enging warm (10 min) or it will stall when in drive, and i need to give gas if idling more that 2min (eg at stop light) for first 10 min or so of driving.i have heard many suggestions about what this could be (fuel pump, EGR, intake manifold gasket) but am a little hesitant to bring in without some idea of the problem...still stinging from the waste of $1200 last time i guess

any all comments appreciated!

thanks

brian

grindmode
Car: I30

I have the exact same problem with my '01 I30. Except I don't get a check engine light. Weird. I've also seen this is a common issue while researching this topic. I've searched feverishly for a solution and the general consensus seems to be either: IAC-AAC valve needs to be cleaned or replaced, MAF clean/replace, or clean throttle body. I'm going to start tomorrow with unplugging the MAF at start up to test/eliminate it. Then I'm gonna check/clean throttle body, and save IAC for last, if necessary. Now this does depend on whether or not I can get gaskets to replace for the IAC or TB. Will let you know how it goes.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

My IACV had enough tar in it to patch a pothole. I cleaned it forthe first time ever and I have a 1995. Bear in mind the multimetershowed it to spec ok even though it was running poorly.

dodiho
Car: 1996 I30 1999 Q45

I have a '96--where is the IACV located-thanks!

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”