i would like to modify my car but........i need answers to 3 questions please!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ESPER

1. when it comes to suspension, what is a "complete coil over kit" ?

2. what is the difference to getting a coilover kit if you can just buy springs and shocks and struts?

3. i need an oil change! i am from northern cali where weather is pretty balanced. what kind of oil filter and oil should i get??

thanks to everyone who helps!!

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Coilovers that are issued by companies are generally the Spring and shock setup. Sometimes extras like pillowball mounts. Generally a full coilover set is desired by real full time race cars and enthusiasts alike because the damper and spring were designed to compliment each other better than mixing and matching. Why do real race cars use full coilover setups... because they are sponsored and have plenty of money. Many people do the Eibach/Koni etc mix and match because they buy one before the other and overall it is cheaper. This is good enough for almost all street driven cars. There is only one kind of oil filter for your car, unless you are referring to companies. Thats just your opinion.

SWIFT_DRIFT

Coilovers have threaded shock tubes that allow you to adjust the springs dampening force...most coilovers also have adjustable shocks (like tein offers 16 settings) + pillow ball mounts (what the top of the coilover bolts to the chasis). coilover kits are very expensive...like around 1500 up for everything listed above.

buy a fram oil filter, costs 5 bucks and they are the best for street cars. oil comes down to personal preference, just stick with the same brand...dont put different oil in your car everytime you change it. i would personally use 10W-30 because norther cali can get notoriously hot during the summers and this viscosity of oil can handle it better than 5W-30.

btw speedracer...race cars use coilovers yes because they are sponsored, but also because coilovers are sooo significantly better...improving times, response, handling, etc...which is the edge those cars are designed for in the first place. =]

ESPER

:D

ESPER

when buying lowering springs, why do the eibach springs lower at different heights in the front and back? wouldnt it be better to get springs that are equal? and when you buy springs/struts combo can u still adjust the ride height?

ESPER

oh and go withthe sportlines or pro kit??

thanks!

TommyyJ

if you notice, your front usually has more wheel gap then the rear, the reason they lower for example 1.2 in the front and 1.0 in the back, is to balance it out so there is about same amount of wheel gap on each side, but usually its never exactly perfect..its up to you whether you want the pro kit or the sportlines...the pro kit doesnt lower your car as much as the sportlines do...also, the further you lower your car, the less suspension travel you have, creating a harsher ride and more prone for the strut to hit the bump stop and bottom out...

ESPER

well i got the fram oil filter and i am gonna change my oil later on today. i basically want the car all perfectly tuned up before i race it and modify it. also i shall do some more research on the sportlines and the pro kit but seems as what tommy mentioned the pro kit is better. but then why do they have ride height adjustable kits? and again pro kits with shocks = adjustable ride?

and one otehr question, what kind of spark plugs and wires do u guys use??

thanks!

SWIFT_DRIFT

Getting a strut/spring combo does eliminate the harsher ride that afretmarket springs and stock struts have because the combo has specifically designed shocks for less travel on a lowered car. NGK are great oem style plugs, i bought new ones at like $1.50 a piece. Get ngk wires too, but wires are the expensive part, anywhere from $30+

TommyyJ

the only way you can change the ride adjustment with the spring/strut combo, is if you buy adjustable shocks...i believe but dont quote me, that koni makes the adjustable struts, the only thing this adjusts is the ride, usually theres a setting from 1 to 5 or so, 1 being the stiffest, 5 being the softest or vice versa...you cannot change the ride height whenever you want with a spring/strut combo unless you buy a coil over setup

im not really saying the pro kit is better, but it really is what you want, you can retain overall great *ride quality* if you stick with the pro kit, and still lower your car some...if you sportlines, you do on the go lower and handle better...check out some companies like h and r, or suspesnion techniques, they lower your car a little more then the pro kit, but not as much as the sportlines...or get crazy and get a coil over kit..

:smoker

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Actually the biggest advantages to an adjustable coilover set-up is that the ride height is adjustable so you can change it for track or road conditions, and you will be able to corner weight the car to dial in better balance. Actually, corner weighing the car is highly recommended as you can not simply look at the height at each wheel and tell if weight is distributed correctly. It can be higher mantenance if you change ride height since it woul involve corner weighing everytime. But it can be highly rewarding when it is dialed in.

ESPER

what exactly is "corner weighing" ?

tonya006

hey, first day here.

I would like to know if anyone has attempted airbags on the 240?

ESPER

yeah i just picked up a local compact car mag and they showed a step by step install on a malibu hehehe but arent those just for show cars?? those cant possibly be for performance? but its alll good thoguh! sorry i couldnt help!

tonya006

I'm pretty sure they are not for performance, and I know that youcan buy airbags that already come in the shock form, but as always i can't find anything I want for my car. I have a 1989 240sx that the springs are already cut, (1 coil in the front and six in the back)really low!! bomex type 2 wing, hks exhaust, weapon r filter and chrome intake tube, 15 inch chrome wheels(needs 18's though) and painted purple, did I mention that it has 150, 000 miles and has been totalled twice(neither of them my fault) Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Still looks BETTER than the day i bought it.

ESPER

wow glad to hear!! hehe but yeah be careful cutting springs isnt too safe you know!! ;)

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”