I WILL buy a 17 Q60, but how bad is DAS?

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
WideOpenWest
Car: 2017 RedSport Wannabe

I drove my first '17 Red Sport last Friday, after seeing one of these cars 'in the real'. Nicer car in person, than on "vids". Will buy.

I was considering Audi s-5-or-7, Mercedes '17 AMG C63 Coupe (but have not seen/driven one), Lexus RCF and Lexus LC500 (not out yet). I am trading in a 2012 Cadi CTS-V, so will sacrifice a LOT of power for any/all of these cars. My reward will be the next gas station within 100 miles? Meybe?

The local Infiniti dealership salesperson was excellent. Found a place where "...the car dealers/drivers go play.." (There were two Audi's and a Cadi there at the same time). Previously, I had driven a Lexus RCF at an abandoned warehouse location, but I wasn't impressed by the handling on the RCF.

BUT, Infiniti has obviously had recalls on its DAS. Should I buy a '17 Red Sport with the "tech"? Or without it? Sounds scary t'me, as I'm old-school, and HAVE dealt with "auto steering" that has gone out (several decades ago). Can be quite frightening at high speeds. Am I paranoid? The "Nanny suspension" any better??

I was impressed by the handling, "drivability", of the Red Sport. Didn't feel as "alive" as my CTS-V, but I didn't assume that the experience would be the "same", as there is a "price difference". (Not, at all, trying to sound like Cadillac snob).

But WHY should I TRUST the "autonomic features"? Spooky, t'me. Especially if my "driving experience" isn't spent in a "commuter rail line".

Should I buy the Spooky-to-me-Automous Features? Should I opt for the AWD, which comes with SUCKY Run-Flats?

As I DON'T understand the Red Sport's electronic system. I/we have happily owned Made-in-Japan cars. Troopers All, that we have owned. "Japanese Performance" has sucked in the past.

I WAS impressed by the handling of the '17 RedSport 400, but as you can read, I tend to distrust "electronics"?

Any advice welcome. I don't spend my time in Lemming Commuter Lines.

Please accept my overly-long inquiry......

I'm NOT into Robots. Any suggestions......? I am not "Infiniti-Blind", or "otherwise-wise" when it comes to cars. I don't want a robot.

Sorry, for the long "introduction". Any comments?

WideOpenWest
Car: 2017 RedSport Wannabe

NO one can offer any info?

rmyAddison
Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport

I have a 2016 Q50 Red Sport, exactly equipped as I wanted, Obsidian Black over Stone, premium plus package (nav, etc.), and driver assistance (full surround camera, etc.). I did not want DAS or the Tech package, I want to do my own driving, you still get the warnings and collision braking with premium plus but it doesn't take over the car.

I love the car !! My third Infiniti, last was G37 IPL, but I've owned Jags and Beemers way back when, so I'm a luxury perfomance guy.

I shopped BMW 340i, Audi S3 and MB C450 AMG. The Red Sport is a "tweener" in two ways, size and horsepower.
Size - The Red Sport is bigger than a 3 series but smaller than a 5, bigger than an Audi 3 but smaller than a 5, and with Mercedes bigger than a C class but smaller than an E class.
Power - more horsepower at 400 than any of the above. You have to go to an M, AMG, or RS to get more horsepower, but you'll also spend $10K and up more, and you need a track to take full advantage of them.

The new engine is fantastic, I'm getting better mileage with the 3.0t 400 than I did with the 350 horsepower 3.7 IPL, excellent torque, it just pulls and pulls.

Negatives - the RWD gets Dunlop run flat summer tires, they stink, I will change to Pilot Super Sports as soon as I get my money out of them. I would negotiate a tire change if I had to do it all over again. And it's too quiet, I'm adding the Stillen Stage 2 catback as soon as they release it, but certainly not a necessity.

The C450 AMG is pretty comparable performance wise but a lot more money. I would buy the Q50 Red Sport again in a heartbeat, love the looks, love the performance, glad I didn't get DAS or the "nannie" package, sticker was a little over $54K, it's an honest 4.4-4.5 0-60 car, highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

The issues with DAS was primarily via the first-gen version. If you spend the time to adjust DAS then it seems people are relatively happy with it. I didn't like DAS when I test drove a Q50 with it but realized afterward that it was setup for quick and light which is not something that is comfortable in city driving.

strikemyrmidon
Car: Current:
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport | Graphite Shadow

Past:
2008 BMW M3 | Melbourne Red
2006 Volvo S60 | Silver
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo | Basalt Black
1993 Mazda RX-7 | Vintage Red

I actually just picked up my Red Sport about 3-4 months ago and glad I picked it over the BMW 340i, A6, and C43 AMG. Of the three it was just more affordable and I kind of wanted something different as I've primarily driven European cars my entire adult life.

So onto the question in hand, DAS. I personally don't mind it. Yes the steering is lighter but after driving it for a few months and driving my mother's Lexus, I'm glad I got the DAS. The amount of effort required to turn and get around just drops significantly. Would I get it for a track car? No. But as a daily driver, its really handy. Especially since it keeps the steering wheel steady when driving over bumps and such. You add that with the tech package and you have semi-autonomous driving. You say you're not a fan but for LONG stretches of driving, it really does become handy. It doesn't drive like a TESLA when it comes to autonomous driving but when turns and such come up on the highway, it makes the turning effort SOOO much easier reducing the amount of energy you're spending on those long drives. I've driven the car from NYC to Montreal and back and from NYC to Savannah, GA and back and just absolutely loved having the options. It definitely takes some getting used to but well worth it in my opinion and I personally have no complaints so far.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”