I want to start hunting- Need Tips

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
albert_ey
Car: 2007 Nissan 350Z

Hello Everyone!

I recently picked up an interest for shooting, particularly rifles. I've always wanted to hunt, but I never really looked in to it. I've done some research online, and I have also gone to local gun shops and asked them.

I want to hunt for deer, but I think that might be too much for a first timer. What kind of hunting do you think would be a good way to start? I don't necessarily want to hunt for Rabbit or Quail.

I've been reading, and the most common and widely used caliber is the .30-06. When I went to the shop, they suggested a caliber .308, they said it has good stopping power with minimal recoil. Oh, and I also want bolt action, as I've read that it is more reliable than other options.

Also, I don't want to spend 1,000 for a remington, what are some good alternatives? My budget is around that much though. But If I could get a decent rifle for 500-700, I could then get all the goodies/extras like rounds, a carrying case, cleaning products, etc...

Shoot me some ideas!

Thanks!

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

a bolt action isn't any more reliable that most semiauto's or lever actions.

.308 is a fine choice for most medium and bigger game in the US. It's cheap and has huge variety of loads.

how much you willing spend on a rifle?

<---actually thinks wing hunting would be a good way to start.

or small game such as rabbit and squirrel.

they're cheaper to get into by getting a nice shotgun or .22LR rifle.

if you're deadset on a bolt action rifle, check out Savage, they make a fine rifle for the money.

when I get a bolt gun, it'll probably be a Savage tactical.

S13_love

Imo, start practicing shooting with a .22 on a shooting range or somewhere up in a mountain in the middle of nowhere. Then practice with the rifle that you are going to use for hunting just to get use to it (this is also a good time to adjust the sight and whatever else needs to be done).

As for hunting for a first timer...go ahead and go for deer, thats what I did. Then for your second year or whenever you feel comfortable, try and go for elk (these guys are tricky little bastards just to let you know).

I used a .30-06 most of the time and it worked out pretty well (I was able to take down elk pretty easy with this one).

Hmmm, what else...

When hunting....be patient and never under-dress, freezing your @$$ off for 8 hours or so can really make a person be in a bad mood

albert_ey

Awesome information! Thank you!

I've been looking into savage, they do have some very nice rifles.

I want to spend around $700 on my first rifle. Something good, but not overkill.

I've read that elk are tricky.

BTW, look at this! I had no idea moose were this huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K94JlejW5LQ

Good stuff

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

you're gonna want to spend a decent amount of money on optics for it too.

oh...a nice rifle for a nice price is a Remington 710.

I think it's actually sold in a scope/rifle combo.

last I checked, it comes in 30-06 and .270 Rem.

I'd go for the 30-06 personally.

1WheelWonder
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Mr1der wrote:you're gonna want to spend a decent amount of money on optics for it too.

oh...a nice rifle for a nice price is a Remington 710.

I think it's actually sold in a scope/rifle combo.

last I checked, it comes in 30-06 and .270 Rem.

I'd go for the 30-06 personally.
I have the 710 in .270, it came with a decent Bushnell scope. I use it primarly for deer hunting, but do take it hog hunting sometimes.

Very little recoil.

I paid 325.00 for mine if I remember correctly and also bought a bipod for it which is nearly impossible to use when your in a treestand but great for shooting range fun.

1WheelWonder
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Your first year hunting may be discouraging or at least mine was. I really had no clue as to what I was doing, really didn't know how or what to look for when it came to picking a good deer spot, didn't play the wind right....... just don't let it get to you, I still get bummed if I don't see anything, which will happen most of the time.

Best thing to look for when scouting which should be done way before the season starts is deer trails. Deer typically always follow the same trail, just like we take the same road.... Their trails will always go to water, food, or bedding areas... it's hard to tell which direction they take on trails, just watch the tracks or possible tree rubs for a direction inwhich they travel. Once you have figured that out you need a spot upwind from which their traveling so they don't catch your scent and don't walk the trail deer use walk several yards away or find a alternate route to your spot coming in from the other direction.

S13_love

Also there will be times when you will go hunting and you'll see absolutely nothing...hell not even a squirrel. Just to let you know.

I can't even tell you how many times this has happened to me.

Then when you are driving back home or where ever you are staying at, all of a sudden you'll see deer and/or elk on private property. By this time it's probably too late in the day to shoot one and not only that but you'll have to contact the owner of that private land to get permission to even shoot one, but then once you do, they'll be gone.

Don't underestimate deer/elk or whatever you are hunting...believe or not but they are pretty damn smart. They know where to go during hunting season.

albert_ey

Thank you! Those are some excellent tips. I can't imagine we'd have good deer in California, well at least anywhere near where I live. What neighboring states do you know would have better hunting? I've heard and read good things about Texas, and also Utah.

I really don't care where, as long as lodging isn't that expensive.

S13-Chuki

Your best bet is to get one of your buddys to take you hunting and use their gun.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”