I've got a weird one for y'all!

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Giving_IN
Car: 2008 Altima Sedan 2.5S

I've had my 2008 Altima for approximately 2 weeks now. A couple of days ago I had just parked her, cracked open my door to step out when an older frontier passed by. 10 seconds later I step out, reach in and hit the start/stop button. As most of you know if you hold down on the start/stop button with the engine running it will kill the engine and cycle to the ON position. Well I accidentally pushed down on the button until it cycled back into the ON position as I was predisposed with other things as well. As soon as the ignition was in the ON position my rear window shattered. Noone around me to kick up a rock, nothing. The only thing I can think of is possibly defective glass and some type of pressure change, though I would've figured with my door already having been open for quite a few seconds that wouldn't be possible. Any ideas at all???

cartersaltima
Car: 2007 altima sedan

Thats strange. I dont know what to tell you other than take it back to the dealership and throw a fit. lol. Sorry about that. Im assuming you didnt have the windows tinted?

Giving_IN

No, that was actually the plan for this weekend. I had to cancel my appointment at a shop for today! Yeah I took it back to the dealership and argued with the service writer for about 20 minutes whether it would be covered by warranty...he kept saying "well there's no indefinite proof that something didn't hit it." And I kept telling him "I don't give a crap my extended warranty will take care of it even if something did." So after 20 minutes of arguing with him I just walked in and talked to his manager. Now the glass is on it's way...from California, so there's 4 days I'll be without her

cartersaltima

That sucks ***. I think as far as the warranty goes they have to prove otherwise, not you to them; correct me if im wrong.

Im glad you got a new one coming back in tho thats good. A bit long tho if you ask me. GL Brotha.

scrutmonkey
Car: 08 Altima Hybrid

I have read some reports of the back window shattering without anything hitting it. I think it may just be defective glass. Nissan should cover it. Run a search and print out all posts about the backwindow shattering problem and bring it in.

Giving_IN

Yeah the reason it's taking so long is apparently the glass is coming from CA and this happened on Thursday so overnight wasn't happening. Scrutmonkey, I've been looking for similar post but haven't had any luck so far. They're going to cover it but the fact that I had to argue for 20 minutes about it is ridiculous. I agree that it must've been defective glass, my guess is that somewhere there was a leak into the center of the glass, and with the humidity we have down here some type of temperature change or internal humidity caused it to shatter when there was an electrical charge going through the antenna. Possibly. I'm no scientist or physicist though so I'm out on that one!

cartersaltima

lol yeah thats a bit too technical for me to understand.

soldi3rappl3

its a ghost

Giving_IN

I'm extremely excited to say I have my baby back...after only 5 days of not driving her...ugh...Just a side note: If you have a fall-back vehicle...make sure it's better than an 84 F250 w/ a 460bb. Going back to 3mpg sucks balls after driving ol' girl!

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”