I need your opinions...

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Okay...last night (the night of the second) I was at one of the other forums I post at a lot. I had a thread about my transmission dying, and went to update it. I'm used to NICO, where if you make a thread like that and don't give updates, you get people requesting them. So I went in and posted an update. Then I look back a short while later and find a post by one of the mods saying "If you triple post ever again, I'll start randomly deleting your posts, double/triple posts or not." Gee...thanks. Er...I see double and triple posting all the time on NICO. It's generally not intended to be annoying, the person just had something more to say. Nobody flips out over it, and as far as I've seen, nobody is even bothered by it.

This pissed me off, so I posted an angry message to that specific moderator. The guy has been a prick to me on several occasions, so I was fed up with him. After that I went off to continue my normal browsing of posts. I come upon one of my posts being replied to. It was a thread about the same parallel parking game someone linked to here (stole the link from them). I had my MSPaint altered pic of the car parked on another car's hood and said "Betcha can't do this" then the pic. Then after that since I was bored (in the same post) I also put "a side note: what happens when RAINBOWS ["rainbows was in rainbow colors--I said I was bored] attack?" The next post (in response to mine) said "I'm getting tired of this ****..." and something about staying on topic and contributing to the thread and the thread was locked. It was from the same moderator. I went back to add to my angry message. I added to it in a second post on purpose and informed them that not only had they lost a good member, but that they should expect to see negative publicity for their site in the future. I went to log out and found that I had a new private message. From the same moderator. It was the forum rules. Except...they weren't the same forum rules that were posted in the "Forum Rules" thread and available to read. These ones were new, first time I had ever seen them, and seemed oddly specific to the things I had done. Now...according to the forum rules posted in the forum for everyone to read, I had not done anything wrong. There was nothing about double/triple posting, nothing about use of colors in text and posts, and nothing about jokes that are off topic. So I went into an active while the administrator was on intending to talk with him. Then I saw my avatar, title, and signature. They had been changed to make me look "gay". That was the last straw. I come here to NICO, copied S13GUY's avatar over to the other forum, and changed my signature to say "I like it when someone from this site deletes my profile. I won't be needing it anymore. Just click the button and do it." I couldn't change the title. I posted "While at any other time I would find the signature and the avatar humorous, I have no further business here at [name of site]. I formally and kindly request that my profile/account be deleted permanently. I won't be needing it anymore." I also went back through and changed ALL my posts that were not in one of the many, many now locked threads to a simple "..." Many of those posts were informative, useful, and of benefit to all visitors to the site.

I checked back a short while later, knowing full well that that same moderator would have posted something idiotic and insulting. I found this after my request to delete my account. By the same moderator: "Well...if he genuinely wasn't a mook, he would have just apologised for being an *** about the rules." THE RULES DON'T SAY ANYTHING PROHIBITING ANYTHING I DID. At least, not the rules that are available to read.

So this morning I logged into my own forums at my own website to check my email ( I have a link to my email client in there...it saves time). The newest registered member is "deletethisprofile" Gee...I wonder who put that there... That is just low. I swear, if he wants a war, he'll get one he can't win.

So tell me, guys and girls, was I being the *** here, or were they? I need an honest answer--if you think it was me, say so. Thanks.

The Tonberry

<sigh> Ok, Im the moderator he is talking about. I am only here to give my 2 cents on this matter and to posts a different view and some facts that can be easily observed over at the site Steelbattalion.org

I am not here to instigate any trouble as I am not that kind of person.

Firstly, I will introduce the site as being a community forum for the xbox console game 'Steel Battalion', a little known game featuring a novelty controller. We have had the site running for about 9 months, and throughout this time only ever had trouble with 3 individuals (out of nearly 300 registered and active account holders).

Minister has been fully truthfull when he has outlined the issues that I raised with him. Yes, we do not allow double/tripple posting in our forums - hence why every post has an edit button and an unlimited word count. If you wish to post an update straight after a previous post, then you can go back, click edit and expand on the previous topic. simple as that. This is how our site has always been run and there ARE (contrary to his belief) rules posted stating this fact. The clampdown on multiple successive posting makes the forums less pointlessly cluttered and stops some of the childish posters (which are a problem on any game fansite) from cluttering the forums and competing for post counts.I will agree, the rules are not necessarrily made clear enough on the site, but generally if we ask someone to follow the general rules of the forum they understand and do it anyway. Thats the kind of community it is over there.

Secondly, being bored does not give anyone the excuse to randomly spam the forums with pointless messages comprising of multiple colors 'just because you can'. Go to ANY gaming forum and they have rules against this. Once again, pointless posts are generally deleted and/or the member requested not to do it again. Sure, we have some fun over at the site where silly posts are made, but 'pointless' posts are not accepted. There is a difference.

Thirdly is my main reason for posting - Ministers aparent issues with me and some facts that contradict his story:

1) I DID NOT MODERATE YOUR PROFILE! That was the admin. I have no ability to do that. he changed your profile without even consulting with me, so I guess he also disagreed with your behavior.

2) I had no apparent issues with you prior to this except for, once again, your seeming need to randomly posts pointless statements in existing threads. I asked you not to exhume old threads with no relevence and all you stated was "Im just having fun, if these were my forums Id probably have some fun at the expense of the person doing it." (or words to that extent). You did it again, we had some fun. you did ask for it after all. I dont see that being too big an issue. Do you? I did stop playing after a few days after all when the joke was no longer funny.

3) You forgot to mention here how you posted up (in a tripple post mind - to be additionally antagonistic) a series of abuse aimed directly at me for my comments which was immediately clamped down on by yet another moderator, and NOT myself . Also an issue is the fact that after the admin 'played with your profile' you proceeded to go through every single post you made in the forum and either replace the text with <dots> ... or abuse aimed at me. Yup - sounds like the actions of someone without issues, especially when you had no grounds to believe it was me except for a frustrated PM outlining the rules and some comments about your behavior in the forums.

4) Yes, when confronted YOU DID THREATEN BAD PUBLICITY for the site. I indeed told you I didnt care as the community is bigger than one mans opinion. However, I think that this threat also shows your character, especially when all this was over something so trivial as us requesting you followed our forum rules.

Anyone who feels the need to check up on this can do so - Just go to the site (again, http://www.steelbattalion.org), look for the name MinisterofDOOFUS (once again changed by the admin and NOT myself) and see what happened to his posts - This was done by him and all have been left untouched (as far as I know). He left proof of how he decided to act.Dont expect to read his abusive comments though, these were taken down but HAVE been archived. Many of his other posts were, as stated, edited by himself prior to us banning him from the forum. Most of them WERE admittedly constructive and interesting to read, but I guess we cant say that now

The fact is, you proved the extent of your attitude with these childish actions when you didnt get your way. As stated in my PM to you, It is our forums with our rules. Everyone else who frequents the forums is happy to stick to these and co-exist as a happy online community. Why werent you?

Now, I am fully aware that this is a forum you frequent regularly. I am fully prepared to have random insults thrown at me for coming here to clarify this seeing as the people here are probably your friends. It does not bother me as this seems to be the mentality of online communities as a trend. I am an outsider and hence the 'enemy'. For the record though, Before assumptions are made, I am not 'a smacktard child' or obsessive, I am just a 24 year old researcher who has pride in the gaming community that I have helped to maintain. Someone tell me what is wrong with that???

I just felt the need to come over and state this before my name is dragged through the mud.

I NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH MINISTEROFDOOM. AS A MODERATOR IT IS MY JOB TO ENSURE THAT OUR FORUMS/SITE IS ACCESSIBLE FOR AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND FREE FROM SUBJECT CONTENT THAT WILL ANNOY, AGITATE, OR PUT OFF OTHER MEMBERS FROM THE SITE.

If any part of this post is modded or edited in any way, I will have no issue whatsoever. I dont intend to post here again. However, if the content does change it will speak a thousand words about your attitudes here.

Sorry you feel it came to this dude. A simple appology would have cleared all this up in seconds. I also appologise for my frustrated posting, but you did blow all of this out of proportion by throwing abuse at me on the site. If you had an issue with me, you could have happily pm'd or msn'd me to discuss it.

EDIT: And as a side note yes, I did creat that profile over at your site. I wanted to talk to you via a pm (I couldnt at sb.org seeing as the admin deleted your profile at your request) to see if we could straighten this out. I never got a registration confirmation in my email and so could not proceed. For this I again appologise. The name was supposed to be a lighthearted take on the situation.

Think about it, if I didnt want this resoleved, why would I have even bothered posting here?

The balls in your court.

Modified by The Tonberry at 5:17 AM 11/4/2004
Modified by The Tonberry at 5:18 AM 11/4/2004

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I realize where you are coming from, but I honestly feel that I was not in the wrong. I don't just apologise to apease people when I feel I was not in the wrong. I AM sorry if I irritated people, but I still think that the reaction to what I did was an overreaction.

I did not use your name. I did not even use SB.org's name. As I said on SB, I actually do like you guys, even you Tonberry. I just felt the response was a little overboard and too personal. I never even had a second thought about any of those posts being outside the rules. Perhaps I should have.

I deleted the account because it was not confirmed. I'll create another one. I'd like to work this out...there's a reason I never used your name: so if eventually I decided to go back (figuring one of you at SB.org would do what you have just done and make me see what an *** I am), you wouldn't have a soiled name because of me. You should be able to log in using Tonberry and the password poisondagger. You can change that from there.

Note...1der: you should delete this thread to save the both of us some humiliation. Or maybe keep it. I don't know...

Dammit...I feel like an *** now...

Modified by MinisterofDOOM at 6:39 AM 11/4/2004

The Tonberry

I felt no need to cover up either my or the sites names. I like to show that I am open to discussion about anything directly involving myself. I appreciate your discretion though.

You have to know too that we did not single you out in any way, I guess that after this time we expect people just to go with the flow. I should be obvious that there will occasionally be people who wont/cant. Fact of life I guess.

Please consider this a formal appology on behalf of myself (but unforunately I dont have the ability to appologise on behalf of other people at the site) for any reasons I may have given you to feel so strongy on the matter. I admittedly had a slight off day yesterday and my own actions could have been more sympathetic.

I do still stand by our forum policies though.
Modified by The Tonberry at 5:44 AM 11/4/2004

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

hey, I edited that post above yours...reaload it.

I'm sorry dude.

Umm...did you try to register using Tonberry_killer already? It won't let that one work...hmmm...I have an idea.

The Tonberry

Its not letting me log in with that password...

EDIT: OK, in.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Alright everyone, never mind. I beleive it has been settled. I was the as-terisk (there...edit THAT you stupid *** editor!)

Return to “Others”