<<>> I Need The Help Of All The M45 Experts ! <<>>

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
TurboScott

Long story short I got screwed on a new car deal so I am going back to my original plan of buying a 2003-2004 M45 and preferably the sport model.

I have read a few pages of the forum and the search feature is not getting the results for what I am looking for so I am hoping you experts can help me out and into my first Infiniti.

As I mentioned I am looking at getting a '03-'04 model and most likely it will be the '03.

Here are my questions in no real order and using the 2003 model as the subject:

1. What is the difference between the sport and non-sport ? Wheel size is one thing I have found, what else ?

2. Any persistant problems with the car since it is a first year model ?

3. Realistic gas mileage ?

4. Reliable ?

5. What is your honest opinion of the car.

Thanks in advance for your information, I have to do this quick because of the deal that went south on a new car I had on order (not Infiniti).

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome to NICO, Scott!
TurboScott wrote:1. What is the difference between the sport and non-sport ? Wheel size is one thing I have found, what else ?
Hmmm, this question confuses me. There was no official Sport vs. Non-Sport model of the 2003 (or 2004) M45 models that I know of (although, of course, the 2006 has that difference)!

The stock wheels on the 2003 and 2004 were 18" x 7.5", in two finishes as I recall, with a stock tire size of 234/45-18 (not the best size). The stock wheels are very nice and strong and there is no real reason to change them, IMHO (others may feel otherwise)! One possible alternative is to get the 18" x 8.0" rims from a similar era Q45. The tires you should use are 245/45-18 with a high load index - the sticky posts in this forum has some information on possible selections.

The add-on packages were Convenience, Technology and one other whose name escapes me (Journey?). These added features like HomeLink controls, seat memories, the Navigation and the like. No handling differences (i.e., Sport vs. Non-Sport) that I know of in any of these add-on package options!
TurboScott wrote:2. Any persistant problems with the car since it is a first year model ?
Engine oil consumption is the biggie. The VK45 engines are "looser" than the earlier VH45 engines. So, more horsepower, but also more oil use than before. Particularly if they were not broken in properly!

This is the one thing that I would be most concerned about - to make sure that you get a car whose engine is in good condition. As long as it "burns" less than a couple of quarts every 3750 miles, this is about as good as you are likely to find. My 2003 M45 is at about 1/2 quart in that same mileage, due to my careful engine break-in treatment!

I have found from experience that "lease returns" tend to get the most abuse in all regards ... the lessors know that they are going to turn the car in to the dealer, so they do not follow good maintenance practices. Like all cars, it is good to do a bit more maintenance than the manufacturer recommendations, but leased cars seem to get less!

My brake pads lasted 37k miles - which is excellent compared to the previous generation (used to go 20 to 25k miles).

I am noticing sloppiness in the handling right now, but my tires need changing pretty badly (down to 3/32" of tread and I do not usually let it get that low!). So, after I change the tires out, if the sloppy handling persists, I will have the dealer take a look at it (the current 40k miles is a bit early for suspension components to be this sloppy).
TurboScott wrote:3. Realistic gas mileage ?
I have posted on this before, so you ought to be able to find that info. Here is a summary. With about 65% to 75% highway driving, I average between 16 to 17mpg very consistently! My wife tends to get about 1 mpg less (no highway driving) when she has the car.

On the highway, I can easily get 23 - 25mpg when cruising at 70+ mph. It is a 340HP V-8, so you are not going to get stellar mileage!

I always use 91 premium, by the way.
TurboScott wrote:4. Reliable ?
My 2003 M45 has been very reliable. No major issues (other than getting hit from behind, that needed bumper replacement). After three years, the minor issues are indeed minor ... the only thing that I have to deal with right now is a jammed CD player (my wife stuck in two CD's into the same slot of the CD carrier ... sigh!). Infiniti wants to replace the player entirely, but my problem is that I would like to retrieve the CD carrier first! So I will go at it myself.

We have had a recent report of Navigation electronics failure and another one of paint peeling. These are probably isolated events - not endemic to the vehicle.
TurboScott wrote:5. What is your honest opinion of the car.
I love it! Among the best four-door sedans I have driven. It is not perfect (nothing is!), but the price was right. Cannot beat the excellent power and smoothness of delivery and good handling (not comparable to the 2006, but worthy enough in its own right) for that value!

This is my daily driver and keeps me grinning whenever I get into it!

Z

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Gas mileage depends on driver, driving conditions and gasoline composition in your location............for the average slow careful guy assume MPG is equal to the city number ~~ 17 mpg. unless you do a constant 55 mph without ac.

Reliable compared to what roughly equal to the Lexus V8 in G and LS.

Tires, brakes, will be cost items............make sure you buy a Nissan extended service contract to protect against after warranty electronics failures. Change all the fluid frequently.

How long do you want to keep the 2003 ...........100k,150k, 200k,250k, 300k............preventative maintenance expense will vary with how long you want to extend life beyond 100k.

Depends on how much damage previous owners have done with minimal dealer recommended maintenance levels.

TurboScott

Wow thanks for the detailed replies !

I came across something that showed a 18inch wheel and a 19inch wheel with a asteric saying the 19's were on Sport models only.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.carsdirect.com/rese...=2007

Look at the mention of "sport" in some of the colums.

szh

TurboScott wrote:Wow thanks for the detailed replies !

I came across something that showed a 18inch wheel and a 19inch wheel with a asteric saying the 19's were on Sport models only.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.carsdirect.com/rese...=2007

Look at the mention of "sport" in some of the colums.
Ah! That is for the current and 2006 models! Not the earlier 2003 or 2004 M45 models ... The 2006 19" wheels do not fit the earlier 2003 or 2004 cars, by the way!

TurboScott

szhosain wrote:
Ah! That is for the current and 2006 models! Not the earlier 2003 or 2004 M45 models ... The 2006 19" wheels do not fit the earlier 2003 or 2004 cars, by the way!
O.K. then just to recap there was no separate models for the 2003-2004 ? They were all the same ? Just different individual options like radios, navi, etc.. ?

Thanks again.
Modified by TurboScott at 3:00 PM 10/9/2006

szh

TurboScott wrote:O.K. then just to recap there was no separate models for the 2003-2004 ? They were all the same ? Just different individual options like radios, navi, etc.. ?
Correct. As far as I know!

Z

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

TurboScott wrote:O.K. then just to recap there was no separate models for the 2003-2004 ? They were all the same ? Just different individual options like radios, navi, etc.. ?
To be more concise, the earlier 2003-2004 M45 are Y34 models, the latter 2006+ M35 and M45 are Y50 models.

CakeDaddy
Car: Y34,Pathfinder SE, Mercedes CLK500AMG Sport Pkg & A Fleet of Premium Avis Rental Cars

I love the car! I find myself peeping at it in the garage late at night.

This car is unique and looks like nothing else on the road, so that was my motivation when I bought this car. Its all about looking unique.

#1 The turning radius! Do not attempt to flip a beotch in this car unless you have atleast 30 yards to work with.

#2 The OEM fogs have the look of my grandmothers old porch light, so get some piaas, or some yellow bulbs.

#3 The trunk space is small ! You may have enough room to squeeze three 5th grade girls in the trunk of the 03-04M.
Modified by CakeDaddy at 6:54 AM 10/12/2006

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”