I need help with code P0878 please?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Aces79
Car: 08 Rogue

08 Rogue with 121,000 miles. The check engine light came on and it had reduced power. You had to floor it to get it to leave a red light and even then, it barely left. It was throwing a P0878 code, bad pressure sensor. Okay, we replaced the valve body.

Light went off and Rogue drove with full power for 150 miles. Then the engine light came back on. The transmission started whining and slipping. It was giving a torque converter code.

Changed the valve body one more time. Now it’s back to reduced power with code P0878, bad pressure sensor.

So, we did get two bad valve bodies or are we missing something?

No one here will work on a CVT trans except for the dealer and I’m trying to avoid that.

Ideas?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

Original or replacement CVT? Routine CVT service at every 30k miles is recommended. When was the last time it was serviced?

The reason an independent shop won't touch your CVT is because those used in the 08, 09 (and somewhat the 10's) Rogues were flawed. The P0878 code could mean a defective pump, and/or a failing transmission. Given the age and mileage (especially if it's the original CVT) I'd hazard a guess that the CVT is on it's way out.

Aces79
Car: 08 Rogue

We bought it used so I have no idea how often the fluid has been changed.
It’s the original transmission.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I think a trip to the dealership is in order. To add insult to injury they'll probably hit you with a diagnostic fee, so if you have more than one dealership within a reasonable driving distance, I'd find out from each what their fees are beforehand.

Return to “Rogue Forum”