i need help

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
banished

im a bug lover...but recently i bought a 521 that im lovin.....but i lost the crew for the distributer so it started spinnin like a maniac...iwhats the dreegree it should be at? and how do i read it from the cranck case...if this was a bug ill have it timed by now...but on thins i need help........

IMH

It will only go in one way.  The keyway on the disitributor drive is offset. 

banished

thanx....today the switch cable that goes to the starter burnt so i have a problem that wont letme turn it on....-.

Pac. coast Datsun

If it spun around a few times you may need to re line the cam lobes & the oil pump shaft so thats its' correctly timed or it'll never start. Heres a link to a vid. thatll help you time it....
http://www.guba.com/watch/3000024223?

IMH

It's simpler than that.  It should just drop back in when you hit the right spot.  Unless the dist. drive disloged from the oil pump.  It's the same as taking the dist. out to work on it.  When you put it back in and line up the keyway on the bottom of it with the key on the drive it's in the right spot. 

banished

yeah thas what i tought....is there a way to start the car with the switch on but with out havin to move it...for exampla my cable burn so the switch turns on but i wand make it crank....i can only turn it on by bump startin it...with makes it impossible to time like that

IMH

You can use a remote starter switch or jump the terminals on the starter with a screwdriver.

Pac. coast Datsun

Replace the cable that goes from the + side of the battery to the starter. They cost maybe $5 ;)

banished

yeah...lol...but its not that cable its the one that goes from the starter all the way through i dunno were to the ignition switch..imma try doin that jumpin terminals screw driver thing see what happens...this site is the bomb..all frendly people....

banished

yeah...lol...but its not that cable its the one that goes from the starter all the way through i dunno were to the ignition switch..imma try doin that jumpin terminals screw driver thing see what happens...this site is the bomb..all frendly people....

Pac. coast Datsun

Ok, not a major deal but it'll take some time. Trace that wire all the way through the harness & see if its grounding out somewhere. Disconnect the battery terminals just incase while your doing this. Or like IMH suggested jump the 2 starter terminals with a screwdriver to see if it'll start....if you do this make sure it's in NEUTRAL! For wiring diagrams look on this site...im almost positive they have been uploaded.

banished

YEAH THANKS, THIS REALLY HELPS

banished

that helped alot...now i can get my engine to crank and start...but i think i drowned it in gas.....oops....neways does backfiring FIRE through the top of my carb is normal???? and when i bridge the started it just spins...and after acouple of trys it cranks...could that be my starter flywheel????

Pac. coast Datsun

Backfiring out the top of the carb isnt good & means your timing is off. A spinning starter means its going bad..replacements are usually around $40.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”