I need help overriding the clutch switch just one time!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Meltdown
Car: 2010 370Z Roadster Manual

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 370z Roadster Manual.

I've had this intermittent starting problem that's been getting worse and worse lately. From the research I've done, all indicators point to a faulty clutch interlock switch.

When I press the start button, all the lights come on etc, clutch is depressed, and car goes into ACC mode, I press the button again, the clutch is still in, but instead of the engine starting, the car just goes into ON mode. The battery gauges etc all go up to normal values, then I press the START button again, and everything just switches off. This is identical behaviour to not having pushed the clutch in.

My car is booked to go into the dealer tomorrow, but now I can no longer get my car started! It seems the problem has just gotten totally bad now. Before I could start the car after 5-10 tries, now if I spent 10-15 minutes trying no luck :(

What I really need to do is just override the clutch switch once so I can get my car started and drive it into the dealer, without getting it towed. As the car is no longer under warranty and I really don't want to go through the hassle of getting a tow and the expense of it, on a Monday morning.

Can anyone please give some advice on how I can perform this override. I've looked at the 370z technical manual on this site, I've looked at the Clutch section, and see the Clutch Interlock Switch, but I'm really not sure what to do to it to override it.

I'm not technical at all when it comes to cars, so any layman advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

All you need to do is just disconnect the switch and jump the terminals.I think your problem actually is with the electronic steering column lock.Nissan has a recall on 2009-2010 370Zs.

Meltdown

Thanks for the response, I've read up on that, and doesn't seem to match my issue, as the steering lock engages and disengages fine. I can hear the whirring noise.

Meltdown

Also what do you mean by disconnect the switch and 'jump the terminals' ?

Sorry but I really have no idea what that means or how I would do that.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”