I NEED HELP! (catalytic converter)

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Absolomb

Hello everyone, I've been trying to find the right z32TT for me and I may have found it, but I have a dilemma. The car has had enough work done to it to be daily driven, that means I need to pass marylands extremely strict emissions law, because technically I cant daily a car with historic plates (wondering if i could get away with it though). The car has a 3" full exhaust on it without cats. What cats would I need to get and how much would I be looking at for installation at a shop? Or do I have to replace the whole exhaust?

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

If your potential buy has had the resonators and AIV's deleted as well as the rest of the typical Z32 power exhaust mods, you will need to replace the entire exhaust to meet emissions or have those parts re-added to the current exhaust. Difficult since it is 3", so you'd have to source OEM output-level components to fit 3" which may or may not exist.
Bottom line is that if you live in an tight emissions state as I also do (Washington), you need to run a full exhaust.

But, unlike current thinking most everywhere that says you need 3" pipes, no guts, etc., you CAN run a full exhaust and get good sound, AND good power! It's all just marketing BS and people enjoying race cars...a quality mechanic will know just what to do to make solid power and not be overly loud, or modified too far beyond stock.

I have 400+ hp and upgraded most everything under the hood and running on aftermarket ECU, and am running on stock exhaust with only two exceptions- upgraded DP's for the upgraded turbos (necessary), and a 2 1/2" tailpipe and muffler combo spliced into a aftermarket old Z32 catback setup. It sounds just awesome, spools correctly, and just a tad louder than stock unless we have the pedal over halfway. SUPER cheap as well compared to the aftermarket items! NO drone as is common with 3" exhausts as well, my biggest issue with the current exhaust thinking.

EDIT- Oh, and it DOES pass emissions BTW.

Hope this helps!

everpresentnoob
Car: 1990 300zx Base. Manual and abused by previous owner....

Cant help with the exhaust, but just a bit of advise on the historic plates on a daily... You are given a certain amount of miles you can drive in a year. you MAY get away with it for one year, but when you go to re-register it next year and your over the mileage they arent gonna let you get them again. And if you are WAY over mileage I have seen fees assessed for that. I have also seen people get stopped by police for driving on historic tags. If a cop sees the same car most every day with historic tags its gonna stand out in his mind. Plus you are not allowed to drive the car to places such as you work, schools and such. Caveat being if there is some sort of car show or something like that going on. In my experience it wasn't worth it.

I had them on my 81 Monte Carlo SS. turns out I couldn't drive it anywhere. total waste of time for me to get them. after about 6 months I went and got real tags for it so I could drive it. totaled the car two days later swerving to avoid a kid who ran out in-front of me.

jiveturkey
Car: 1991 z32 2+2 NA Fairlady

One exception to the historic plates. Maryland has no way to inspect a RHD vehicle so it must be registered as historic. So pick one up from Japan and have a blast!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”