I NEED HELLLLP WITH DRIVE BELT CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
borcan69
Car: 2003 g35 coupe

Hey guys I was reving my engine today and I heard a cracking noise coming from the engine. I stopped the car looked under the hood and noticed that one of my belts is missing half of it. I need to fix the car today or tomorrow at the latest because monday I need to take it into the shop for a new paint job. By the way I have a 03 g35 coupe. Please help me out and if you could tell me what kind of belts I need that would be great. Thanks !

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

I would go to your local Nissan dealer and get them.Bought new belts for my Pathy a few years ago and was surprised at how low the price was at the dealership. Nissan that is.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Just changed my belts. It is important to make sure that don't tighten them too tight, but mine squeeled when i started it up because it wasn't tight enough.

2003 doesn't have a pulley tensioner. It is pretty straight forward. Put your car up on jacks or ramps. Loosen the 14mm nut that holds on the belt. There is a tensioner bolt that drives straight up from below the tensioner. Loosen this, remove/replace belt, then reverse the process. takes 10 min per belt.

If you buy the belts at autozone/checker, etc make sure that size is right. They had the wrong size belt in their system for the A/C belt.

tollboothwilley

Oh, ya, I put on the GOODRICH belts, which cost around $40 i think for both. I didnt even check the dealership though. Check with their cost.

borcan69

Do I need to put the car up or can I access these bolts from up top?Also what should I look for, I do not know too much about fixing cars?

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

SVTCOBRA wrote:I would go to your local Nissan dealer and get them.Bought new belts for my Pathy a few years ago and was surprised at how low the price was at the dealership. Nissan that is.
I agree! Go to the dealer for the belts.A number of years ago my 88 Mazda 929 5 speed with 200k miles began making squealing noises. I stupidly took it to a local auto repair & they told me I needed a couple of timing belt tensioners. So they were replaced at least thats what they told me & charged me for along with the timing belt, hoses, other belts & water pump. Total $1300.00 Well within a week the car was barely running & took it back. It had jumped timing. A week later, same thing, took it back, & they had to reset the timing again. After the third time they refused to look at the car again. I then took it to the Mazda dealer where they gave me written documentation that incorrect tensioners as well as the wrong timing belt was on the car. Long story short, I disputed the original charge & got my original $1300 refunded on a charge back. I paid the dealer around the same price & my 929 ran like a clock again. What did I learn? Sometimes the dealer is cheaper and less aggrevating.

BTW, I was at the Infiniti dealer today and although I am not a believer in extended warrantys I took another 4yrs & 48k miles on mine for $1950.00Although belts and hoses are not covered on the original vehicle warranty, they are covered on the extended warranty. As are all bulbs, switches relays, etc. The covered list is long but I now have a bumper to bumper warrant until 2012 & 96k miles. The covered items runs 7 pages of tiny print & is called the "Elite Extended Protection Plan" by Infiniti. I will try to scan & post the covered items.

Telcoman

infinititech1

you have to do it from the bottom.

borcan69

Do you guys know many bolts I need to take off?

borcan69

Thanks guys I was able to change the belts following your directions; now the car is ready for brand new paint job

champagneG35
Car: '03 Champagne G35 Coupe 6MT Brembo (sold July 2015), '73 Datsun 240Z,

infinititech1 wrote:you have to do it from the bottom.
HA! No ya don't !! That's only if you care to have your arms come out unscaved and actually take the quoted 10 minutes per belt

I just changed mine out today er well yesterday at this point and did all work from the top with my kid asleep in the backseat and car firmly planted on all fours. Granted between the engine being still hot and annoying semi sharp plastic pieces my arms got kinda beat up and it took just over an hour from start to finish. The other no-no I did apparently from another post I read tonight saying not to use a socket, was use a socket but I didn't strip anything so no harm no foul.

P.S. my arms sure are sore

tollboothwilley

I used a socket....with no problems. And from the bottom it litterally takes like 5-10 min per belt. really simple.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”