I need a roof rack any suggestions?

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
Cube-in'
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 1.8SL

My brand new, right off the truck, 2009 Cube 1.8SL will be delivered next Thursday. I kayak and need to find a roof rack to load my boats onto. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I have Thule accessories (J's and a slip-stream), but Thule does not list a rack for the cube.

Thanks,Cube-in'

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I would suggest giving Thule a call directly on the phone and seeing if they have a rack for the Cube. They may have one designed for another vehicle that is a perfect fit but they just haven't been approached for one yet. Give their customer service a chance.

If they can't help you, Yakima lists a roof rack and the accessories for mounting kayaks on your Cube at their website.

damian666robin
Car: 2009 nissan cube

this is like my xb!i always said if you have sucha small gas saving car but you still need a freaking roof rack! then you must be driving the wrong car! i dont think the roof of the cube has made the hardest to support bikes or boats or stuff like that, everytime i drive by the rail tracks the poor cube rumbles all over so now imagine with stuff up there dont do it man! buy a xterra lol!

Cube-in'

Thanks for the input. I am trading my Mazda5 for the Cube. I put a 16ft kayak on top of it 3 days a week, most weeks. And some times 2 boats. But that is more difficult.

The combine weight of the 2 boats is less then 100lbs. And the lift over height for the Cube is lower then the Mazda...Since I am only 5'4", this was key. My son has an XTerra, and I could NEVER lift a 16 ft boat on top of that! talk about a painful boating experience.

Yes, racks can be noisy, nothing you can do to deaden the wind noise. The farthest I drive to the water is 10-20 miles. And no rail tracks...lol

Maybe I will just have to save up and get a SportsRig Micro Trailer to haul my boats.

I will let you know what I do, and thanks again for the input.

TBrack
Car: none

hope you don't have a CVT, you can't tow with it if you do.

damian666robin

yeah a little trailer with a tow hitch

smac103
Car: pearl white cube s

this is how my roof rack setup came out, used the yakima q-rack towers, q31 clips, and 58" bars, then used my old Steelhead bicycle racksit is noisy though, as has been pointed out, but a fairing on the front of the rack should help. i'll let you know.

Cube-in'

Thank you very much for the pic, and the details. That is the set up I found too that would work. I do have a friend at a local surf shop that is looking into one of their racks for me for about half the cost of Yakima. The only glitch is the clips.

I will post a picture of the kayaks on top when I get my rack.

I love my Cube, I have only had it a week now, but so glad I traded the Mazda5 for it.

[IMG][/IMG] http://www.facebook.com/photo....48581

smac103

btw, i installed the fairing (the 50" one) and the rack is now quiet as a mouse at least as fast as 70mph. the fairing helped the noise far better than expected.

damian666robin

you guys keep a ladder on the cube?those bikes look freaking tall,it looks like it will hurt one eye! lol!

Cube-in'

I got the racks, love them! Added the fairing also, very quiet. I currently have 2 kayaks on top of my cube. This is the best car I have ever had. Most versitile, and comfortable. Headed to the water this afternoon!

Once I am not so rushed I will add picts to show you what it looks like.

Thanks for all the help!

damian666robin

whats a fairing?

Cube-in'

A fairing is a piece that mounts on the front and below the first cross bar of the rack system. It acts a s a wind deflector. It has little feet that rest on the roof of the car.

Does that help?

damian666robin

oh ok i see i see how people get so hyped about those roof racks i am starting to feel like getting one my self

i will look into that later to have a couple small surfboards

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

Does anyone know offhand how much weight the roof racks can handle? I'm a photographer who was (up until today, anyway) looking at getting an FJ Cruiser or similar truck to hold all my gear and the added benefit was that I'd be able to stand on the roof for some more interesting shots. Would the Cube's roof rack be able to handle 195lbs of sexy ol' me?

smac103

yakima claims the Q rack is good for 300 pounds , but im sure that can vary greatly depending on where it is mounted on the roof.... i think the weight limit issue would be with the roof itself... i have had this rack on several different cars, and have never seen a roof flex like it did when i cranked the towers down on this one. i will run about 150 pounds max, so i'm not really too worried about it. BTW, my girlfriend says that the rack makes my Cube "almost look better". not sure what to make of that

smac103

damian666robin wrote:you guys keep a ladder on the cube?those bikes look freaking tall,it looks like it will hurt one eye! lol!
good point, gives me a good excuse to lower it now!

Fit2Cube
Car: 2010 Nissan Cube Krom

Hey Fit-in,
I also kayak and just purchased a cube. I am looking into either the yakima q tower system or the inno rack. But I was wondering what kind of mount do you use for your kayaks. I was looking at the j mounts. I have 2 sit in kayaks.

Return to “Cube Forum”