I need a couple of basics for audio answered for my 89 240 coupe

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
lbrowne

I'm planning on keeping it a simple system , since this is my winter car/daily driver. Right now she has a factory tape deck, the driver door speaker don't work, and well, it sounds just awesome!!! :ylsuper hehe

Well, I plan on replacing all the speakers and running a good CD Deck. Thing is I wanna go the Ebay route, get stuff at a bargain as I plan on keeping my car light as possible, no subwoofers.

It seems Infinity Kappas for the front are a popular choice, and it appears that the rear of a 240sx coupe has 6.5s...I thought it was 4x6 all around.

Anyways what would be the best setup to go with for a good sound, nice bass.

I always thought Kappas were not good to use unless you had nice Amplified power piped into them, not straight from a deck...

Anyways your help is appreciated.

lbrowne

Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

This should be fun for ya. You most likely want good sound, good prices, and equipment that is going to be reliable for years to come.If I were you, I would go to a few different shops around town and take a few cd's to listen to. Have the people that help you show you a few different combinations of cd players, amps, and speakers. I would suggest getting whatever speakers that sound best to you, a good 4 channel amp, some sound deadening material, (great to install in the doors and rear deck for a 4 speaker replacement only) and a cd player that has a simple design (try to stay away from inexpensive motorized front faces, one less thing to worry about breaking although not extremely important) and sounds good. Buy good wires and check back with the thread you started here to get info and opinions from all the guys. GOOD LUCK!!!!

BTW... you have 4X6's in the front doors, and 6 1/2's on the back deck with about an inch and three quarters depth to play with. Pay attention to speaker depth as to not get speakers with magnets too big.

lbrowne

Which 6.5s should I look at that won't break the bank, and more importantly have the proper depth I'm looking for?

Chances are I'm going to be purchasing items online and won't be going to a store. I'll figure out a deck on my own, and thanks for your advice, I'll be keeping that in mind :)

Simmsled

Eclipse SE8262 - might not find on Ebay, probably about 75 if its on there.

Alpine SPS-1629S - probably sells for about 60 on Ebay.

Kenwood KFC-XR601 - more expensive, however probably the best shallow depth mount speaker, probably sells for about 100 on Ebay.

All of these will fit the rear and give you the sound that you are looking for. :cool:

BTW, the fronts and the rears have 1.75 depth, usually not a huge deal with 4x6's, but still important. The matching 4x6's for those 6 1/2's are as follows

Eclipse: SE8462AAlpine: SPS-4629 OR SPS-4629P, the latter of which I recommendKenwood: KFC-X468C

lbrowne

Hello, just an update to my progress.

I went and purchased a JVC KD-S680 cd deck, and 4 Eclipse speakers (4x6 and 6.5) as you mentioned in your reply.

I got all these items at a real good price, and I'm excited to get them installed. As far as Dynomatting goes, do you line the entire inside of the door? or just around the back of the speaker?

I don't want to go to all hell with it, adding that dead weight to the car. Whats the best approach to take?

Thanks,

lbrowne

lbrowne

ttt

machinehead

if you're not gonna do the whole car then just line around the speaker so it doesnt rattle.

lbrowne

yeah i'm only doing deck and speakers. maybe sometime down the road a 4 channel amp to power the speakers a bit better.

lbrowne

ok i have the deck installed, its great.

my speakers arrived and my car is getting a bit of work done on her so shes in the shop. i do know my driver door speaker does not work, no sound at all.

what could cause this? frayed wire?

also with my 6.5s that are going in the rear, the center piece is angled, do i want to make sure this faces towards the front of the car?

thanks,

lbrowne

Simmsled

Your speaker probably does not work because it may be blown or the factory amp (do 89's have factory amps?) may be busted. If you do not have the factory amp, the output stage (audio stage) of your factory radio may be toast (destroyed).

lbrowne

I have the new deck installed and it still doesn't work. The tape deck which is what was originally in the car I found does not have amps in the doors, cuz its located in the tape deck itself.

I'm thinking maybe the speaker is blown....

Simmsled

The factory speakers are the ones that are in there right now right????

scruf1986
Car: the car

My suggestion is skipping all of that troubleshooting stuff. Just run new wire. Thats my take. Not bad choices on the hu and speakers.

lbrowne

stock speakers are still in there yes.

i may run new wire but I have no idea where they go, like once they go through the door hinge, where to then?

when it comes to car audio i can do the 2 basics, speaker install and headunit install. :)

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”