I need a CA18DET

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
joe_keyzer

Help .I have searched the OLD forums and I found everything I wanted to know about the CA18DET. But the only thing I need to know is where the hell can I get one at a good price. I live in wisconsin and everything for salvage yards looks at you like u smoke crack when you ask a ? about an import. I have seen them for around 2000 from diffrent places. But it sounds like everyone else get's em cheaper. I can do the swap myself, I work on stock cars everynight and have a good shop I just need an engine and the parts for the swap.

Daunttless

If you can wait a month, I will most likely be getting in some CA18s, it will be significantly less than $2000 to buy from me, and I'm located in Iowa. Let me know.

joe_keyzer

Awesome just let me know when you get some in

trpower7

Me too Daunttless, let's see if the poor college kid can scrap together a few bucks for Paul's Iron Block. :confused:

Daunttless

Well, if everything works out, I only planned in bringing in 1, maybe 2 CA18s for my first shipment. If you for sure wanted your name on one you'll have to put a deposit down so I bring in some extra ones. : ) This is of course assuming I start importing everything. : ) See ya!

joe_keyzer

Can you email me with the estimated price. I have my yamaha banshee on ebay and if it sells i will have the cash for a mighty beast being you live in Iowa i would road trip to pick it up so that takes shipping off .

Thanks man

Joe

email - [email protected]

anyone want to buy a banshee???

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Hey guys ... I also know that Dauntless carries the Nismo motor mounts and I would suggest them for the swap! If I remember right he also carries a full list of Nismo parts for the CA18DET and SR20DET. :ylsuper

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

/me sighs

I hate moneyonly if I the extra money.. I get these studen loan checks for around 1800 that of course I gotta pay back in the future..

maybe a few more quarters and I will be more situated with my debt and funds to be able to spend some money :)

who wants an SR anyway ;)

my only question is how interchangable are the US parts from the Ca16/18 to the ca18det.waterpump/altenator.. etc.you know.. the parts that could go bad.

-dan

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

oh ya. forgot one thing

this is the message that makes me have 20 posts now ;)

wooo

post whoring just for you Daunt

-Dan:fruit

Daunttless

Basically everything is interchangable, thats one of the things that Paul really loves about the CA. You can go to your local auto parts store and buy everything down to the bearings. : ) I'd imagine CAs will probably cost between 1500-1900 dollars. I don't know for sure yet though... We'll see. : )

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

I don't know much about the SR's and the CA's are completely new to me....What are they exactly? European Silvia engine?

Anyhow seems like the CA would be for me, it's cheaper, i don't need tremendous power, but there is still the option to upgrade. How easy is it to do the CA swap? Is it a b**** with the wiring like the SR? And you say the parts are interchangeable? with what?

Oh, one thing, Jubs180, i feel for you! I'm in college too, on those damn loans, i'm not looking forward to graduating, lemme tell ya. :whippedit's horrible being a poor college student when you want to soup up your car!!

Daunttless

the CA18DET is the engine that originally came in the 180SX ( S13 Hatch ) and some early Silvias. It is a 1.8 liter turbocharged engine. The SR would probably be better if you didn't want to modify much, however the CA can be good at only moderate levels of modification. The parts are interchangeable with the American CA18DE, unlike the SR parts with the SR20DE. The CA is just as easy to put in as the SR, not to much difference. Thats about it, any other questions I can answer for you, or things I can be more specific on?

trpower7

Hey, you know how at heavythrottle.com they have the wiring and installation guide for the SR20? How hard would it be to get Paul or someone to write us up one for the CA? I'm a big fan or the iron block, and a big fan of cheap ;). And what would you say is the mod to do to bring the CA18 to SR20 HP levels (205-220)???

skydragoness

so why would the SR be better for me? my car is going to be an autocrosser, so therefore i will be modding the suspension first before i plan to swap an engine in. I want to have *some* power, so that's why i like the CA.

i don't know, daunt, maybe i should just stay with n/a bolt on's...but then i don't want to be a sissy ...

i'm really indecisive about my future plans with the car

( i just don't want to see my money go to waste)

trpower7

The big reasons some of us like the CA are these (Paul will tell you pretty much the same thing)

1) IRON BLOCK!!! (what does a 7M-GTE, 2JZ, VG30, etc have????)2) Cheaper to import, still bolts right in ($700 or so less than SR)3) Parts are all interchangeable with USDM CA18DE4) Higher revving engine

Paul really knows about it, for specific info I'd ask him. I think they both have their pros and cons, but it seems like a CA is a good place to start.........

Daunttless

To bring a CA up you'd just need some top feed injectors off a FC, the 550s are more than sufficient, a turbo/manifold, and a chip. You'd be good to go with that.

As far as autocrossing, you may want to look into what the rules are as getting a SR20 or CA18 may change your classification and/or make you inelligable. I don't know the rules.

The SR would be better if you didn't want to touch it and you didn't want to modify for a ton of power. The SR is cheaper to 320 or so horsepower, the CA is cheaper from like 320-500. This may or may not be completely accurate, but oh well, with some numbers I've thrown around it seemed to work for me. : )

If you just want to get into the stock CA range, with intake, headers, exhaust and some higher compression pistons you'd be there for cheaper with your KA. Especially if you have a DE, I can't remember, but if you throw the SOHC pistons in there, you'll have some mad compression. : )

Who knows. : ) Anything else that I missed?

Oh, and a few more things to add to TR's list.

5) Top feed injectors6) No rocker arms7) Crank/rods support up to around 500hp with shot-peened pistons.8) Revs higher. : )

skydragoness

maybe sticking with n/a bolt on's is the way to go... ( i have a ka24de-- see signature)( i do like reliability)if i ever get rich enough to buy a new car then i'd just buy another cheap 240 and go crazy with it, my current 240 still has pretty low miles on the KA (82k)

*sigh*

thanx for the insight

Daunttless

With the early SOHC pistons you'd be pushing 11.6:1 compression, with the late SOHC you'd be pushing 11.1:1 and have a dished piston, which would probably be better for your usage.

Jubs180

I have changed my mind like 20 times on what to do...hmmm. keep the larger displacement KA and go turbo.. but then that would require me to rebuild it if I planned on driving it for a while... more $$$.. turbo kit for the KA alone costs like double the price of a complete CA...

Sure, the CA has less horse power than the SR stock.. but in my eyes I see more potential :)I like the small size of it.. meaning decent gas mileage.. well until you throw some huge injectors/large turbo and drive it around at 8k ...then I see the gas going down :rockon

after I do all the suspension work that I want to do.. (probably agx's and eibach combo that PDM has going on.. , unless someone can suggest otherwise on what to get for shocks/struts and springs) .. but after that I will probably save towards swapping over to that CA.

also a question... since the CA is an older motor... and I know that Daunt is going to have the connections soon. what kind of shape are they in? they have probably been sitting in a front clip for a while haven't they?I guess this is true with any import motor... or do you know that the yard they come from pulls them as they come in? (like brings them indoors).. or are they left out in the elements?

-Dan

Daunttless

Its hard to say how long the engine has been sitting, obviously I'll only be buying quality, its not worth my time to be a junk dealer as sales in the Nissan community is almost completely based on reputation. : ) Some engines have been sitting for a decade, others have only been sitting for a lot less time that that. Its hard to tell because dependant upon the person, with the amount of driving its pretty easy to end up with the same mileage over several different years. Unlike here in America where basically all old cars are high mileage. It is an older engine, but I'll only be getting good compression motors. And unfortunately most have been sitting for a while. However, you probably haven't seen many pictures of what the engines look like before they're cleaned, they all look pretty much the same, and they all clean up nicely. : )

joe_keyzer

Someone wants to buy my banshee YEAA.

Ok now to the pont:ylsuper

I should be able to do an engine swap this fall. So I want to have a my car be good on the street. Something I can drop in and have a nice gain over the stock in my 90 fastback. I would like to do some mods but my budgets a little low right now.

So i was thinkin of maby I should get the SR anyone want to talk me back out of it.

-Joe

Daunttless

If you just want a nice increase, and don't want to worry about changing much, the SR will be the better option for you. No point in talking you out of it. : )

joe_keyzer

Hey Daunttless do you have a website up and running with any of your information on it? By the sounds of it the diffrent posts people are interested in getting engines and work done by you. I know I am.

:thinker

Daunttless

No, I don't have one as of yet, but its in the works. : ) Now that my name is finalized, I'll actually be able to start getting things going.

joe_keyzer

If you need a hand setting a site up let me know

[email protected]

nismo240sx
Car: tuning and being cool

I heard u can use a turbo from a SR and it will be better than the stock ca and if so is there any moddin needed other down pipe and turbo manifold and ECU tweeking?

Daunttless

The SR20 turbo fits on the CA manifold, its a T25 flange. The downpipe needs to meet the CA manifold anyways, a SR can be "made" to fit.

nismo240sx

cool but what about ecu tweaking and stuff nad I am really into buy a ca18det is there any problem with swaping them in to a 1990 fastback or is it relatively easy

Daunttless

no, its easy. What do you mean by ECU tweaking? Easiest way woudl be an s-afc or tec II or something. : )

nismo240sx

i mean like the pump and stull ike that would I get those with a engine or could I use the stock one of off a ka24e or de or what or parts could I use for a ca18det from a ka and what would I have to change out

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”