I-Key System Failure Message

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
NorcalQX4
Car: 2011 Nissan Leaf S
2015 Nissan Leaf SL

We are proud owners of a 2015 SL.

Today, I replaced the broken driver's side door handle.

After the repair, everything works perfectly, the doors unlocks and locks as they should and the key FOB works as it should. The car drives fine.

However, the display above the steering wheel started displaying "I-Key System Failure". There is also an orange triangle showing on the dash display.

About a week ago, I replaced the 12 Volt battery without incident. I replaced the key FOB battery last week too. The voltage of the FOB battery is currently 3.14 volts..

Surprisingly, I have found several other posters on various forums who have had exactly the same experience--they replace the door handle and the I-Key System Failure message appears. However, none of the posts that I have looked at have a solution.

So, I have some questions:

1. If you replace the driver's side door handle, does the new door handle have to be paired with the BCM? If pairing is required, can I do it or is it a dealer only thing?

2. Has anyone else had this problem (with the I-Key System Failure Message) and did you find a solution?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The antennas in the handles have no smartwork and don't require anything special to replace. However, if you had the key on at any point with the handle disconnected, it's likely the BCM threw a code for the antenna being open-circuit. Most DTC's of that sort won't clear themselves, the warning will likely persist until it's cleared with a BCM-capable scanner.

NorcalQX4
2015 Nissan Leaf SL

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:16 pm
The antennas in the handles have no smartwork and don't require anything special to replace. However, if you had the key on at any point with the handle disconnected, it's likely the BCM threw a code for the antenna being open-circuit. Most DTC's of that sort won't clear themselves, the warning will likely persist until it's cleared with a BCM-capable scanner.
Thank you! I was playing with LeafSpy today and saw that the DTC codes could presumably be cleared. but didn't know if I should. So, I should go ahead and do that?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If any of the codes are NATS/NVIS stuff, that's probably the root of your warning. So yes, if Leaf Spy will read/clear the BCM, then by all means, clear out anything that's in there.

NorcalQX4
2015 Nissan Leaf SL

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:51 pm
If any of the codes are NATS/NVIS stuff, that's probably the root of your warning. So yes, if Leaf Spy will read/clear the BCM, then by all means, clear out anything that's in there.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow and report back if it cleared the "I-Key System Failure" message.

NorcalQX4
2015 Nissan Leaf SL

I tried to clear the DTC's using LeafSpy, but after specifically clearing the BCM codes and then rereading them, the below codes are still showing up on LeafSpy and the "I-Key System Failure" message also still shows up. The door handle I installed was an aftermarket unit, so I ordered an OEM door handle from a dealer and I will install the OEM handle and see if that takes care of the problem. It is an odd situation since everything on the car works fine.
C01CEBD2-646F-4202-84EB-B8F53D920361.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

B2627 usually indicates an open in the antenna. Check the connector at the handle and make sure you didn't bend a pin or leave it partially-latched, but if you don't find anything, you might simply have a bum replacement handle.

NorcalQX4
2015 Nissan Leaf SL

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:55 pm
B2627 usually indicates an open in the antenna. Check the connector at the handle and make sure you didn't bend a pin or leave it partially-latched, but if you don't find anything, you might simply have a bum replacement handle.
Yes, I agree. The aftermarket replacement handle just didn't fit like it should (although everything works). One of the plugs didn't exactly match up to the existing plug on the door. I won't receive the OEM handle until later on this week so I will see if replacing it makes a difference and report back.

Thank you for your help.

NorcalQX4
2015 Nissan Leaf SL

I was able to install an OEM door handle purchased from a local dealer and it completely eliminated the "I-Key System Failure" message.

So, I would recommend not purchasing after-market door handles. Although the aftermarket handles look identical, there is some difference that generates an I-Key System Failure error.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Leaf Forum”