I just bought a Q45a and have some questions.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
p0rkq45a
Car: Green Infiniti Q45a

Hi,

I just bought a 94 Q45a and the only thing wrong with it I found out is that it needs new front and rear struts. I called up one of my local nissan dealer b/c my mechanic said that is the only place to get those parts, and they said it would be 1500 per front and 1300 per rear. Now since I bought the car for 3900 that would be more than I even paid for it. Does anyone have any leads on finding cheaper part dealers for the Q45a?

I have also seen somethings about converting the suspension to the regular Q45 instead of the active suspension. Is this even worth it?

p0rkQ45a

P.S. I love the hell out of this car.
Modified by p0rkq45a at 8:48 PM 8/8/2005

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Might be worth a road trip to T-3 in Atlanta (404-794-7700). They can convert to standard suspension, or install recharged accumulators (search on post from member "texasoil"). Depends how interested you are in keeping the active system.

Jehangir
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45A

I have a 92 active Q. This is probably the most "fun" car I have had in a while. Can you describe your cars ride a little better. Does your mechanic know about this suspension? is your suspension leaking? What other things will you have to fix before you are happy with your new purchase?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Please do try to keep the active if you can afford to do so. The ride of a properly working Q45a is awesome.

Plus, changing it to a standard suspension can often cost almost as much as a active strut recharge - look for posts from Texasoil here at NICO; he does strut recharges for a pretty reasonable cost.

Also, what year is it? If 1993 or earlier, you may also want T3 to check out the chain guide situation!

Z

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

1. Spend aobut 3 hours reading the posts about active suspension here and in the Infiniti General section.

2. Call me.

(205) 492-2515

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

The 4 strut accumulators can be recharged by texasoil for less than the cost of the two rear ones brand new. If at all possible, keep the active suspension going! It will be well worth it! Contact texasoil about prices http://www.q45asuspension.com/ and get a recharge.

Your active suspension with the Q45 is one of the greatest driving cars ever made.

Keep in mind your Q45 has 10 accumulators/actuators, 9 of which can be recharged. Normally if the 4 strut accumulators are dead then most others are as well.

I recently converted my 92 Q45a to normal suspension only because I'll be getting another "active" Q down the road once this Q is restored. This is my daily driver so I didn't want to wait and couldn't, at the time, have any down time.

Tell us a little more about your car! Welcome to NICO.

red

dgeorge_c
Car: Conversions of all kinds

What year did you say your car was? Probably the reason it "only" cost 3900 was because the "only" thing wrong with it was a crapped out suspension. One of the most costly non engine/transmission repairs for any car on the market. Beware the dealer labor costs too. They are brutal. I converted mine, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have probably tried the recharge. Its just that when you crawl up under one of these things its like nothing you've ever seen before and it can be a bit intimidating. Good luck.

350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

RECHARGE.

$1,250 for all struts/accums recharged$1,000 (high estimate) for every single piece of rubber and other part that encompasses the suspension. I have a text file with every single p/n for an active Q45a.

Order all the parts, and hook up with Keith bowers. Get a competent mechanic and your car will be like it was when it rolled off the factory floor (in terms of the suspension at least)

doo it

Gatis
Car: Q45

I'm just selling rear struts on e-bay for 9.99... They are not leaking, were riding ok before I converted my q45a to regular in april because of front struts failures. Have a lot of active parts remaining, both electronic and mechanic, can sell, just ask via [email protected]

Gatis

p0rkq45a

The car feels like the suspension is bottoming out when I hit a bump. And it tends to get a bit bouncy on the freeway. Other than that I love this car a ton and the acceleration is amazing on it. I really want to keep the active suspension at all costs. And I really appreciate the help and advice.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

there are other active owners out here too as part of your support group.the only reason to change the strut (actuators) is if they are leaking hydraulic fluid. The accumulators on the other hand will almost certainly need recharging.

if you do have a leaky strut or two--here is one situation where a used strut [provided it's not leaking] is completely serviceable when coupled to a recharged accumulator.

again: $1300 each at the dealer because nissan made the judgment error of not selling the accumulators at the 4 struts separate from the strut assy.

if you're patient and reasonably handy with tools [really don't need to be an expert], you can even do the 9 accums yourself.

p0rkq45a

One problem is I noticed on the back left strut it did seem to have leaked some fluid, but maybe that could have been brake dust/some other substance. Not sure how to tell if it was hydraulic fluid.

3Q Jay
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

douche it as best you can, and then watch it over the next day, and then 2, and so on until you can see where its coming from. if the rubber dust boot is in pieces, your strut seals are in danger of being compromised.

the fluid itself is greenish/yellow. turns slightly browner with age. hydraulic fluid [especially after its been heated] has a very tell-tale odor.

p0rkq45a

The Boot on everyone is in pieces. So should I try and get new ones asap?

3Q Jay
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

hard to diagnose the leak without seeing it. don't just assume all the strut actuators are leaking yet. but yes, the boots should be replaced to keep trash out which finds it's way into the seals and causes them to leak eventually. changing the boots will require removing the strut actuators and the coilover springs. check the mounts at the same time if you do this. front mounts were both pricey and on backorder last i checked.

p0rkq45a

Car crapped out today Diagnosis : needs new water pump. I will know tomorrow if its all ok when I get it back.

Strut work is on hold.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

p0rkq45a wrote:Strut work is on hold.
So is driving it, I hope, else more serious damage may ensue.

Gatis
Car: Q45

The cheapest water pumps are remanufactured at autozone, but I recommend to go to mr-auto-parts.com to get brand new one for less. Do not bay these on e-bay from fuel-under-pressure - they are wrong fit.

Gatis

p0rkq45a

maxnix wrote:So is driving it, I hope, else more serious damage may ensue.

Yah its sitting in the shop tonight. It should be ready tomorrow luckily they always bump my cars to the front of the work line.

p0rkq45a

Just got my Q45a back runs good so far. Temperature is ok. Time to gather more information on the strut work.

stevekantercool

Redmanfx, I have been told to seek your advise. I have a 1994 Q45A that I want to replace the active suspension with standard suspension. I have purchased a conversion kit from Strutmasters. Installation was easy. However, when I start the car, I get oil flow from where the hydraulic hoses were connected. I have removed the fuses marked "ACTV" and disconnected the wires off of the pump. Do I need to disconnect the active computer in the trunk, and what do I do about the oil flow? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Lots of hydraulics and computers needs to be removed from a model to get it down to standard model weight.

Did they loop the PS pump?

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

Nice to hear you got the suspension swapped out. The active fluid hoses will continue to pump oil because the Active pump is the same pump as your Power Steering pump and is always "pumping". You have to "loop back" the pump on itself.

go to the Members Rides Gallery and check out the pic of "front pump loop" from redmanfx and you can see how I did it. You will have to have some tranny fluid or mineral oil pumping through the active side of the pump so when you do the loop back make sure it has some or your pump will sieze and you have no power steering and have to get a whole new setup for big bucks. All pulleys and a completely different PS pump will be needed if your pump siezes up.

This will stop the fluid from pumping through the active hoses(which I also removed along with the resivior). I'm kind of limited on my other wealth of resource information since I'm in St.Louis right now so please excuse my lack of other pictures or write ups.

Check out the picture and let me know if you have any other questions. You do not have to diconnect the active CPU. Just make sure your loop back hose is good and tight! It's very simple and take about 15 minutes.

redI'M DRIVING A BUICK RENTAL

texasoil
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Mercedes-Benz SL600

Its important to realize that driving with flas accumulators usually causes the active oil to leak past the strut shaft seals. Those leaks STOP when the accumulators are recharged. GROSS leaks willnot stop because the seal is badly damaged. Small leaks will stop completely. I do have a stock of good used active struts.

texasoil
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Mercedes-Benz SL600

Drop me a email ([email protected]) or phone me (832)651-7576. Lets see is rehabing your active system is the better choice. With the exception of the accumulators, the systems ARE extremely trouble-free and durable. Expect 3-5 years on recharged accumulators, averaging significantly less costly than conventional struts to maintain. $700 for parts, an hour or 2 of your time with hand tools and you get a ride better than a conversion. For a few bucks more, you can do all the accumulator and get factory new performance.

dgeorge_c
Car: Conversions of all kinds

You did say you have ALREADY converted, right?

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”