I have a "new" 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 3.5 V6 auto w/ 160k, I know previous owner, (daughter-in-law),

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Arnold
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima 3.5 V6 160k

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 3.5 auto w/160k,, I m new owner, (was daughter-in-laws). And this is new,,
Car will stall/die while driving, & at idle waiting for traffic light, . Slip selector back into neutral, restart car. It does restart immediately, (& I continue on my way)., HOWEVER, when this does occur, service lite comes on, also the TCS light and traction light both come on,, (first time this happened, I had inadvertently NOT tightened gas cap enough). Problem continues, while driving at speed on interstate (60-70mph), even while stopped at traffic light, car WILL restart , (shift into neutral, coasting).and then continue on my way,, after car sits for a few hours, the TCS & traction service lights have "reset", no longer lit, But engine Service light still on, Service code shows/showed1448, the next time after resetting code, when stalled, codes 1448, 0345, & 0139, , 3 days ago, radiator sprung a leak, crack in upper plastic, under air intake opening, 3 days mail order, new radiator, already back in,.
Any ideas, this is a nice car, new tires, battery, great shape with again only 160k, (little rust over rear wheelwell),
Side note:: she purchased new vehicle, at dealer, major car lot originally didn't wish it as trade in,, offered her only $300, as trade in,,, her sales person said he would personally purchase it for $500.
I gave her the 5, . And so far, (3weeks old),still glad I did, 160k, it's just breaking in..

Arnold

Stalling while driving, from anywhere from high speed on interstate, normal in town speeds, 25-35-40mph, has stalled just waiting for traffic light. Shift into neutral, and it does restart,

Arnold

Well, Arnold here again, with my "new" 2002 Maxima, - stalling problems, tonight, stalled out several times, slowed pulling into fast food parking lot, bam, stalled, service lite still on, also again with the TCS & SLIP lights back on, it did restart immediately, later this evening in slow traffic, stalled, pulled over, (coasted to curb, wouldn't immediately restart, got out, opened & reclosed gas cap, started right up. The 3 service lites had already been on..

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

As the above poster suggests, you'll want to check and OBD-II scanner and scan your cars computer for codes. Also, the flashing lights in certain combinations can have special meaning. Like TCS and Brake and CEL type lights. I see you've been pulling codes, so that is good. What are your current codes? I'll take a look at those during lunch tomorrow. Also, if you're not doing repairs, don't keep resetting the ECU and clearing the codes. You want to let the car clear them for you. You'll need the Factory Service Manual (FSM) to decipher the codes and lights. Often the stuff you'll be looking for is in the EC chapter. The table of contents is in the FWD chapter. Here is a link to your car's FSM chapters:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2003/

centralcoaster33

Could be loose ground wires, could be bad primary O2 sensor (bank 1), could be bad secondary O2 sensor (bank 1), could be bad camshaft sensor. I'd test the wires and check grounds first. Then I'd see about replacing primary O2 sensor (bank 1). Then I'd look at the Camshaft sensor and maybe replace it or continue on to look at the secondary O2 sensor and maybe replace that.

Arnold

Thank you, one and all. My son, "daughter-in-law"s husband, will be returning to Omaha, our home town, tonight, Thursday. He has been the person maintaining this vech for the last year. (I've worked in a auto repair shop in the past, but, he's better then I am!!). He has been checking my codes with his OBD II scanner. I won't have an up to date set of codes til this weekend. (The daughter in law assured me, (&I believe her) this was not occuring while she was driving this car, It only sat dormant for only approx a month.
When first stall occured, only OBT code was 1448, canister vent control., Along with the SLIP lite, and TCS off light, lighting. These last 2, reset themselves after sitting a few hours. Engine service remains on. Again, I'll have up dated code or codes after this weekend. Again thanks all.

centralcoaster33

Well, I misread or missed one of the codes. The evap valve thing could be jammed, clogged or unplugged. Remove, clean and inspect that part I guess. I had a car where the charcoal canister seal broke and all the charcoal bits were sucked into the piping up towards the engine. I put a filter over the canister end to block any more charcoal bits from coming out of it. I put an inline filter cup on the other end and let the pressure of the system suck the bits into the filter cup. It filled up and I emptied it a few times until finally, no more coal in the line.

Arnold

To centralcoaster, ok, the 1448 canister valve was the first code & only when it happened. I started liquid wrenching the screws, (valve & canister) to pull off to check& ✓proper electricial Vs to it. Would that valve shut down the car when it checks itself for proper vacumn, .?

Arnold

Well today plugged in OBD II . *Didn't show "ANY" codes, (very, very strange).so, drove Maxima around until stall occured. Put on OBT reader. Only one code, PO 0345, (only this 1 code, not the 1448 or 0139,& PO 0345,.)But still will be checking canister & valve EVAP, tomorrow. Anyway, I've cleared codes again, & will resee what pops up again.[ My book shows 0345, cam position sensor A, Bank 2, {circuit malfunction},,].
Also earil Friday, reattached exhaust pipe, between muffler and catalytic converter..was completely rusted, separated into, just in front of rear axle. 4" stainless and clamps brought it back together

Arnold

Original problem, Maxima SE V6 I-35, stalling out , slow speeds, fast speeds, but does/did restart. When engine stalls, engine service lite, the TCS off lite and the SLIP lite. ALL lite up, (TCS & SLIP ),.reset themselves after sitting several hours.
AMD THANKS all with help and suggestions.....
Using code PO 0345, replaced cam sensor, bank 2, sensor A. Which took care of the stalling problems. So far.. (purchased set of 3 sensors, cam,cam, & crank)[reasonably priced on line, but,, the cheapest, are always "cheap"].go midprice.. next will be PO 01448, canister control valve, which after testing with meter, jump wires, and even external power supply, was/is defective, locked/stuck I'm open position. No movement at all.Next for replacement. Easy replace, except for the 3 "small" bolts, 10mm head, which are rusted in place, sprayed release for 3 days, tapped, turned/worked slowly, but still twisted off 2, PO 1448 will wait until I drill out bolts.
Again thanks to all. Arnold.

centralcoaster33

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the bolts. I had a bolt issue just last night with my headlight assembly. That'll take a drilling later as well. I'm glad it's running a bit smoother now. Good luck with control valve. Like you said, it should be simple (other than the bolts).

Arnold

Thank you very much. And good luck on your bolts as well.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”