I hate O2 sensors.

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

i'm a little baffled. my CEL comes on EVERY TIME IT RAINS on my 95 max. SAME CODE(S). 1 or both upstream O2's, and/or rear O2's. Here's the thing, I can drive forever when it doesn't rain and it will never throw a code. the moment it rains, here comes the CEL. I can wash my car twice a day for a week and no codes, but still when it rains . . . ugghhhh. all the connectors are clean and a few of the O2's are less than a year old. anyones input would be great, thanks.

DamSedan
Car: None at the moment RIP Subaru's

You could always check for a short in the wire. I mean, perhaps they wire is bare somewhere and water is getting on it. That would not necessarily happen when the car was being washed but perhaps road spray is getting into the wiring. Just a thought.

I know that on both of my subaru's i was running a really big exhaust (4" down pipe to a 3" pipe). I did an electronic cell fix on one, (splicing a resistor into the O2 sensor wire) and a mechanical fix on the other (basically it is an extension bung screwed into the exhaust pipe which places the O2 sensor further out of the air stream of the exhaust). In both cases this worked. My last Subaru (06 WRX TR) had a more finiky ecu and required my eventual movement to engine management retuning with a tuner and dyno tune.

I am curious if either of these would work as I am looking at maybe picking up an 03 I35 this weekend. Perhaps down the road it will have some sort of fabricated exhaust on it to open things up but I will have to do something to keep the sound down as I want stealth this time as opposed to the old me that was more in your face with HP!

A.Tech
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE Black on Black 5-speed, and yes. I know my avatar is a Gen 5... lol

They may need to be changed cause they could be defective. To me it seems like it is reading a different(more dense) air therefore the code hits. Try buying a few and changing them, If that does not work, return them cause you have another issue.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”