I cant make it run right

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
why wont it run
Car: 76 Datsun 620 nightmare

hows it goin guys? on my end a figgin nightmare! i resently bought a 76 620 pickup. when i bought it it was runin rough but it had been sitting for a very long time 10 yrs or more.anways when i bought it it had a tank of bad gas so i figured that runa tank of good gas trough it seafoam the carb and gas tank, give a good tune up and with a little luck it would run like i should.

well as anyone can guess thats not how it happend. so far i have done a complete tune up coil, cap, rotor, wires, points, and condencer.need less to say it didnt help much. I have replaced the fuel pump, andaccelorator pump, but still nothing. i have also replaced the intake/exhaust manifold gasket, the gasket between the manifolds, and the carb spacer & gaskets. i have seeled off every possible vaccum leak. when i removed the manifolds i had to change the pcv valve and hose because it was packed full of dried oil from the valve all the way down to the block.

anyways bottom line is ajusted replaced and spent my way to nowhere.ive got over 1100 bucks in this thing 600 of that in parts. All that and it still wont run right.

the truck will sit and idol all day long it dosnt sound pretty but when you go to take off it tries to die spits spudders and and has no accelortation.

please someone help me figure this out.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

welcome to Nico!first of all did you set the timing? have you done a compresion test? what kinda of carb(s) are on it? have you adjusted the idle mixture at all? adjusted the floats? cleanout the jets? checked all the vac lines? distributor dashpot working correctly?

I'd suspect either a timing issue or a carb problem, keep us posted were happy to hels as best we can

why wont it run

thank you!

well i never really thought about it being out of timing i amagine that could be a posoblity. but as far as the carb goes it is a stock carb. when i replaced the accelerator pump it looked like it was new so i never messed with rebuilding the carb on it. but other than that i havent mest with the jets or the float. i dont really know a hole lot about carbs b/c i have always only had to deal with fuel injection. also no i havent done a compression test. but if i did do one that indecate that it is out of timing right. oh and what exactly is a dashpot? one more thing can anyone tell me how to set the timing mabe email me a timing diagram or somthing.

any other advice is highly appreciated ([email protected]) or([email protected])
Modified by why wont it run at 11:36 AM 2/16/2007

why wont it run

well i have discoverd part of the problem i took the carb apart and to my suprise the float hadnt ever been adjusted the tong wasnt even touching the needle valve alowing the bowl to fill completely with gas and flooding the engine. also the carb was running much to rich and i had to adjust that.

after dealing with that i made a minor adjust ment to the distributor and cranked it up it ran great!!(it quit smoking as well) i got so excited that i imidiatly jump in the truck to go for a drive. i put it in gear went to back up and it died it lost all power it wouldnt do anything but it ran great in park.

so does this sound like a timing problem or could it be something else?

Return to “Datsun 620”