I can't handle this crappy radio anymore. (2014)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
McHale
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Service won't do anything because they can't replicate the problem. It reboots regularly and will completely stop responding sometimes where turning it off and shutting the car off won't fix it. I took a video hoping that service could work with it and maybe replace it. NOPE. Here's the video. One other side "bonus" when this happens, the Navigation voice turns all the way up to full volume. QUITE annoying when you're on a long trip.

-Mc

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i am very sorry to hear this. i have heard of this before i believe.

JB'sTitanXD
Car: 2017 Titan XD Cummins

I had a issue like this today but i still had audio and the ability to turn it up and down.

rcturner

My 2014 does the same thing but, they cannot repeat it and therefore, can't address the issue. I have found the electronics in this vehicle are quite flakey.

tsumeone
Car: n/a

Mine has frozen and rebooted once since I got the car. They really need to make a bugfix software release, this thing is buggy as hell.

Leo2005

Wow. Are they all defected? Mine is cheaper but has once in a while a bug as well:

daltonvol
Car: 2014 Rogue SL (Premium Pkg)
Traded - 2013 Rogue SV (SL Package)
2011 Maxima S

It really is quirky. I think mine has rebooted once since I've had it (6 weeks or so). But the audio playback from my phone is very strange. It actually seems to do best through Bluetooth. When I plug it up by USB, it turns on even after I've turned it off, the response is much slower (like when I switch songs there is a noticeable delay), etc. How much noise do we have to make before NIssan takes this issue seriously?

JLD94
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue S Moonlight White

Sorry to hear about this guys. I haven't had any problems, but I have a S trim so not as many features as yalls. It seems like with all the videos they would be able to do something, hopefully they will figure it out soon.

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

This is nuts. Even if the dealer can't reproduce this issue, the video clearly shows you are having problems. I'd bypass the dealer and take this to the regional Nissan guy.

In the 3 weeks I've had mine it has had zero issues so either my situation is normal or yours is....I'm thinking you have a bum unit.

JB'sTitanXD

I have a appointment to take mine for a 30 inspection, i have mention a few things for them to check out including the radio locking up from time to time.

smm76
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL

My radio has rebooted 3 times now...just driving down the road and all of the sudden the music stops and the entire system reboots. It usually takes 30 seconds or so to start back up again. It is a bit anoying when it happens.

McHale

RyleyinSTL wrote:This is nuts. Even if the dealer can't reproduce this issue, the video clearly shows you are having problems. I'd bypass the dealer and take this to the regional Nissan guy.

In the 3 weeks I've had mine it has had zero issues so either my situation is normal or yours is....I'm thinking you have a bum unit.
Before I bought my Rogue I was able to make the BOSE system radio reboot every few minutes so I contacted Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs. They didn't care. I showed the dealers on their own cars. The dealers nor Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs cared. Once I got my Rogue, I showed the dealer AND contacted Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs. Nobody cared.

All everybody tells me is they ran a diagnostic on it and everything is fine and dandy and since Nissan has no radio update, everything is good. I'm not too impressed with their handling of this issue. Hell, on the way to work this morning my rear view mirror fell off the windshield after moving it a hair to the left. After seeing how that is mounted, I'm not impressed with some of their design decisions.

I have another open ticket with Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs but I'm not holding my breath. My guess is that they will say to take it to the closest dealer (which is 45 miles away) or the dealer I purchased it from (which is 100 miles away) to have them run another diagnostic. So, they will waste my time with zero plans to do anything. I'll post back with whatever happens. I'll also be happy to post my service ticket numbers if you'd like to call and when they say it's the first time they've heard of this issue, you can reference them.

For the record, when I was test driving the Rogues, the non-Bose radio was MUCH more stable than the Bose radio.

-Mc

McHale

LOL - Just talked to Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs. Just like the last time I called they told me to go to a dealer. I explained I went to 2 dealers and both said there was nothing they could so. Nissan Consumer Affairs said there was nothing else THEY could do either.

In the event someone calls Nissan and reports a problem with the radio rebooting or not working, here's the two case numbers I have: 13021485, 14233300 And if you want to really confuse them, give them the NTB number that directly deals with this for the same radio on all other Nissans but the Rogue: NTB12-070a

What really amazes me is I am unable to escalate the issue and since the dealer doesn't want to spend any time working on this, I'm just screwed. Jeesh, who's running this company? The Marx brothers?

-Mc

tsumeone

If they won't do anything about it on the phone or at your dealers, I'd go post all over their social media. If that doesn't get their attention, go to the local news. That should do the trick.

jashar97
Car: 2014 Rogue SL

My dealer told me that because Nissan doesn't have a fix that they suggest not asking them to repair it. That they would just have to put in a factory refurb radio that would probably just have the same issue.

McHale

tsumeone wrote:If they won't do anything about it on the phone or at your dealers, I'd go post all over their social media. If that doesn't get their attention, go to the local news. That should do the trick.
How I got ANY attention at all was because of social media. The woman (Emily) that handles that stuff actually makes an effort to help customers (most companies do not when it comes to social media). Any time I've posted a question or a complaint or whatever, she has addressed it publicly and privately if needed. I wish I could send her a Christmas gift!

Right now, I'm in touch with a manager who is going to have an engineer work with the shop. As I pointed out to the manager, the NTB number (that specifically mentions these issues for the same radio on all other Nissans but the Rogue: NTB12-070a) IS PROBABLY THE FIX. I think it helped some that I was able to explain all the issues, what caused them, AND had a video online to back up my claims.

HOPEFULLY, this will result in a recall so everybody's radio gets fixed. Again, as soon as I find out more, I'll update.

-Mc

1019throw
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV

Sorry for the video quality, I forgot to switch back from MMS mode. Anyway, here is video that I caught a reboot. It was stuck in "Starting Navigation, Please wait." Ive had about 8 random reboots since I bought the car in January. I don't even want to take it in, since everyone else here has had no success since its not easy to recreate it.

McHale

Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced the issue where you pull up a list of mp3s in a subfolder, and when you click the song you want it'll play the first song in the first subfolder? If you click the folder button and select it again, it works fine.

I can reproduce this about 75% of the time.

P.S. Great job 1019throw on catching that on video. I'd been hoping someone would get it. According to one of the Nissan techs I spoke to, our radio wasn't covered in that NTB I mentioned earlier because our radios didn't suffer those issues. It's beyond frustrating when you're trying to talk to someone who has NO idea what they are talking about.

tsumeone

McHale wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced the issue where you pull up a list of mp3s in a subfolder, and when you click the song you want it'll play the first song in the first subfolder? If you click the folder button and select it again, it works fine.

I can reproduce this about 75% of the time.

P.S. Great job 1019throw on catching that on video. I'd been hoping someone would get it. According to one of the Nissan techs I spoke to, our radio wasn't covered in that NTB I mentioned earlier because our radios didn't suffer those issues. It's beyond frustrating when you're trying to talk to someone who has NO idea what they are talking about.
Yes. I keep mine on shuffle all songs so it hasn't been a big issue, but I did notice that it happened to me twice when I wanted to play a specific song.

Seems like the radio in this car is still in the beta testing stage =/

JB'sTitanXD

Took mine in yesterday for this issue and the dealer was very helpful. They reloaded the maps and reset the radio itself. They asked that if it does again, it get video if possible so my service adviser and he will forward it to NissanUSA for investigation. He is also going to call me if a software/firmware update comes available. I was pretty happy with the attempt to fix it. They had a master tech work on it for a couple hours while I had a loaner.

Leo2005

Left my car on Thur and picked it up yesterday. In my case the screen is faulty and they are going to replace the whole radio unit next week (as soon as they receive it).

McHale

JB'sRogue wrote:Took mine in yesterday for this issue and the dealer was very helpful. They reloaded the maps and reset the radio itself. They asked that if it does again, it get video if possible so my service adviser and he will forward it to NissanUSA for investigation. He is also going to call me if a software/firmware update comes available. I was pretty happy with the attempt to fix it. They had a master tech work on it for a couple hours while I had a loaner.
They always start with resetting the radio, which will do nothing in this case. The first case number I posted is for the rebooting issue. That was opened before I even received my vehicle because I was able to replicate it on EVERY BOSE system Rogue I looked at. When one dealer didn't think I was serious, I dragged them to the 2 in the showroom and got them both to do it in under a minute. So some of these issues aren't specific to anyone's radio and until there's a FW update, this will be an ongoing issue. However, since your dealer worked with a tech it will at least start getting documented as a widespread issue.

And a HUGE thanks for reminding me to write down all my radio presets before I take mine in next week!

-Mc

JB'sTitanXD

McHale wrote:They always start with resetting the radio, which will do nothing in this case. The first case number I posted is for the rebooting issue. That was opened before I even received my vehicle because I was able to replicate it on EVERY BOSE system Rogue I looked at. When one dealer didn't think I was serious, I dragged them to the 2 in the showroom and got them both to do it in under a minute. So some of these issues aren't specific to anyone's radio and until there's a FW update, this will be an ongoing issue. However, since your dealer worked with a tech it will at least start getting documented as a widespread issue.

And a HUGE thanks for reminding me to write down all my radio presets before I take mine in next week!

-Mc

Mine has never rebooted on its own. since they have done the resetting of everything i have had any issues out of it.

therealroland
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD + Premium Package; tan interior

When you say 'dealer does a reset' - does the system keep the address books of the navigation, presets of the radio and other programmed information stored somewhere? Or do you have to reprogram everything after each reset (or battery disconnect?) ?

JB'sTitanXD

I had to reprogram my presets. I don't have anything in my address book so not sure if you have to add the back in. I would assume so

azieba
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited

Ok. Some of you know I had taken mine to the dealer. At the time there was no TSB to fix it. This is for a 2014 Rogue SL AWD, no premium package but with Navigation (ie no BSDW or MOD or moonroof).

I escalated with Nissan North America and had a case created. Last week, they called me into the Dealer and had a tech from Nissan Corporate come in and do a firmware upgrade .

This is good news because if a new rev is available, there will be a TSB soon.

My reboots were random and I did not record the revision before the procedure. I can tell you they did put everything back except my POIs and my Bluetooth, (which they are not supposed to be able to do anyway based on Bluetooth spec).

My reboots were always random, it could happened once and not reoccur for 3-4 weeks, or it could do it 2-3 times in an hour.

After their work, the radio seems smoother and has not rebooted in the 5 days I had it back.

Below is the version, can someone who has the reboot problem check their version to see if they have the same. I am trying to determine if this was truly a software upgrade or just a firmware reload. I only included some of the numbers as I was rushed this morning.

To access the menu - with the radio on, push the (Apps / i) button and hold it like that while turning the right radio button 90 to 180 degrees left and right a couple of times and then let the Apps/i button go and you are into secret menu.

Software: D025
Hardware: 031
BTHFU: 0x07 0x00 0x2031/ 0x030c
Order No.: 7612051241
SD Card Data version: 2427361921
Apps: 0/2.55/15.5.3/nissanmip-mipgw-....
Meter Version: 0.0.0/0.49.23

If anyone knows of a combination of events that generally make the reboot happen, please let me know and I will try it. I really hope this fixes it.

On a side note, I can tell you that even though the Dash Driver Display system and NAV are integrated, this DID NOT fix my problem with the Oil and Tire Maintenance Reminder alerts, they still reset after sitting powered off for 10 min or more. Dealer thought this might fix it as well, however I will have to give him the bad news.

Thanks,
Al

tsumeone

I wish I could get my dealer to take the oil/maintenance alert thing seriously...

I can tell you that the alerts do not work. The dealer set them for 750 miles and its been 750 miles. No alert :/

McHale

RADIO update.

I took my car in yesterday and they decided to replace the radio. I have no idea how much troubleshooting with a Nissan tech they did. Consumer Affairs manager just called me a few minutes ago to ask me what the status was (odd that they didn't call the dealer first and tell ME the status). I explained that the radio was being replaced and from there, the call went downhill fast. I asked if the "new" radio would have the same or a newer OS on it. He didn't know. I asked if the issue wasn't resolved, what's my next step. He didn't know. I asked if I could escalate the issue with someone ELSE if the issue wasn't resolved and he DID know this answer... it was NO. So I asked, since I paid a LOT of money for GPS and upgraded radio and they aren't reliable *AND* I can replicate the issue on every BOSE system in their fleet *AND* they were unable to fix it, can I be refunded the money I paid. The answer again was, "I don't know." He did explain to me that Consumer Affairs job was not to provide consumers with answers. So that was interesting. I guess their job is to ONLY have me contact the dealer who has a "bunch of tools available to them." If that's the case, the phone number for Regional Consumer Affairs should simply be answered by an auto-attendant that says "If you haven't taken your vehicle to a dealer, press 1. If you have taken it to a dealer, thank you" and just hangs up. If you press 1 it will respond with "Please take your vehicle to a dealer." They could save a LOT of money that way.

I forgot to check the FW and OS of the radio before I dropped it off so I really won't know if the "new" radio will be different in any way. Once I get it, I'll post the details here so others can verify against their own.

-Mc

rcturner

I talked to my dealer today, (5/9/14) and they said a fix is on the way. It should be available in a few days and will be a simples re-flash. I hope they are correct and that it works.

McHale

That's odd. I'm dealing with Regional Consumer Affairs who supposedly talked to a bunch of people "in the know" and I was told a couple days ago that no fix currently in the works because they weren't aware that the issue also affected the Rogue but who knows, maybe there will be one in the future.

In the meantime, they are replacing my radio with a "new" one that has the exact same FW/OS version on it - because THAT will fix it. /sarcasm.

As of today, I STILL don't have my car back. In a couple days they'll have had my car for 2 weeks. Not liking my 2014 Nissan Versa at all.

Return to “Rogue Forum”