I can't get anyone to change my lights...

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
weightpushr7
Car: 03 G35 Sedan, 64 Chevy Truck, 07 ZO6

I'm a college kid and wouldn't begin to know how to take apart my wheel-well and put it back together without screwing something up. My lights went out and nobody around me can change it. The infiniti dealer is an hour away and with work and school I can't get it there and just sit there why they work on it. The nissan place in my town acted like it was almost impossible to change and told me that they couldn't do it. I have lights (ordered them because it seems nobody carries d2r bulbs or whatever) but have no way to put them in. Is it really all that hard to do the change? I'm going to go ahead and change the highs and the fogs while I'm at it when I finally do get at it as this is a huge hassle is ridiculous IMO that they made them this way.

bone_stock_240
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45

I thought you just had to get the bumper off to change the lights? Hopefully that dude with the sweet all black g35 will chime in, Jeromes13, because I remember him describing to someone how to pull it all apart and paint the housings black. Have you tried looking in the FSM?

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Its really not that hard. You could do it in a parking lot with simple tools. Check out this thread for instructions. I would also get the FSM, so future repairs can be accomplished.

Headlight replacement

weightpushr7
Car: 03 G35 Sedan, 64 Chevy Truck, 07 ZO6

joe603 wrote:Its really not that hard. You could do it in a parking lot with simple tools. Check out this thread for instructions. I would also get the FSM, so future repairs can be accomplished.

Headlight replacement
yeah I just ordered high, fogs, and markers to go along with the d2r's I already have. When I get them in I'm going to see how it goes because I got the highs, fogs, and markers ordered for cheaper than infiniti would put just the d2r's in for (just service charge as I was supplying the lights) and now I won't have to drive 2 hours (1 there 1 back) to get it done. I have next weekend off and I paid for 2nd day air so I'll just drive the z06 at night (which I hate because of bugs) until then. Doesn't sound too hard but I have pretty much built an entire truck (64 chevy) with the help of my dad and I've been around a lot of cars and taking apart a wheel-well to do anything sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I haven't done it yet...but I agree that it's not the best design. Holy crap....I'd kill to have an 07 Z06!!!!!!!!!!!!

DragonG35
Car: 2007 G35 Coupe

It's really a piece of cake. I've been in and out of the light housings now about 4 times and it gets easier each time I do it. Just turn the wheels all the way to the right or left (depending on which side you do 1st) there are 3 plastic tab holders inside the fender well. Use a flat head screwdriver to pop out the center of the tab (not the outer) so you don't break it. Next, remove the two phillips head screws just above those on the inside of the wheel well.

1 more step....look underneath the front bumper (outside edge by wheel well) and remove the bolt (metric) from underneath. Now you can peel back the plastic wheel well cover enough to get your hand inside and remove the 'cap' that seals the light housing. Be careful removing the bulbs as there are clamps that hold them in place. Be sure to remember how the clamp attaches so you can reverse the process blind. You'll have to do everything by feel rather then sight as it's impossible (without removing the wheel) to see inside.

It sounds harder then it is. But it can be done. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Modified by DragonG35 at 4:31 PM 6/15/2007

infinititech1

i did a little write up on this...see top of this forum

nathanliang
Car: G35 04, Ivory, 6MT, Brembo Breaks, Injen Air Intake

I just bought an 06 headlights for my 04 coupe. I have unbolted all the necessary parts and gotten the headlights out, but the wire "Cap" was so tight I couldn't get it disconnected! Do you mind to tell me how you did it and if you had any trouble doing it before.

THanks,

Nathan

TurboDreamsG
Car: 2003 G35

Yup dont even have to take off the bumper to change them out. Just pop a couple bolts out the fender and reach your way to the headlights.

nathanliang

sorry, I meant to say the headlight housings. I got the 06 model comes with projector lenses. Somehow i can't get the connector disconnected from the harness

DragonG35
Car: 2007 G35 Coupe

You might have to "push" and "turn" to get it loose. I didn't need to change my projectors out...only the fogs and parking.

pae9132
Car: Modified 03 V35

I read in another area online that Infiniti made the lights hard to get to so that they couldn't be stollen easily which makes sense to me.

infinititech1

the connector can be a beoytch. you have to tug pretty hard to get it apart

nathanliang

Finally got my headlights replaced it turned out there's a pressure clip under the harness holding the power connector together.anyhow, the 06 projectors look badass on my 04 coupe. the only down side about them is they got rid of the clearance strip lights. I recommand to you all (03,04, and 05 drivers).

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”