I call upon NICO folks to help me with this fwd problem

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
lbrowne

This is not on a Nissan, but hopefully you guys can help me out.

I have to replace a busted timing chain on my 91 Saab 9000. This car is an automatic and its frontwheel drive.

I'm having a very very hard time with a similar board like NICO except its for Saabs, I don't get near the help there like I did here when I needed help with my 240sx. (under ther 240sx technical section obviously ;) )

Heres the problem. I have to get the crank pulley off. Which means removing the crank pulley bolt. Try to untighten the bolt makes the crank pulley turn.

Put the car in drive....crank pulley still turns. Is there some sort of trick to do this?

I done the timing chain in my 240sx but the chain wasn't busted. All I did to remove the crank pulley bolt was put the car in 5th, handbrake on and presto, off came the bolt.

Thanks in advance, I swear I'll get better help here for this german car than I will at saab forums.

navysnail
Car: 1990 240sx fastback

put it in park if you can

lbrowne

tried that first, same deal.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Chain wrench or (possibly) a strong belt wrench on the pulley with a long extension.

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

as long as the motor spins clockwise, and the bolt is right hand thread, and the motor is non-interference,you can do this.

disable the ignition system, or the ecu so the car will crank, but not start.

get a long breaker bar, and a piece of wood.

put the breaker bar on the crank nut, and use the piece of wood to buffer the breaker bar under the hood.

have someone crank the motor [with key]. the starter should break the nut loose.

lbrowne

thanks for the help guys, I won't need to worry about not having the car start - cuz right now the chain is broke. She won't start :)

I'll pull the fuse for the fuel pump so I'm not washing down the cylinder walls.

NISTECH

you should be able to prop the breaker bar against the ground below the car and bump the ignition to break it loose. This is only providing the bolt is threaded like your typical car and not reverse thread. you are still going to need the chain wrench to tightne it properly when you are done.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Borrow an impact gun from somebody. That's the easy way :)

Also, you can put the car in gear, and have somebody hold the brakes. It will hold the engine still while you unbolt the pulley (Nistech...does this work in an automatic? or does the torque converter slip?...I don't know anything about automatics LOL)

likemynuts
Car: My car

When I did the pulley on my 200SX(manual), I just used the chain wrench around the pulley, and a big old socket wrench on the bolt. But, if you can find a impact wrench it'll be much easier. Also, get prepared to have a heck of a time with gettin the pulley off. If you don't have a pulley remover, then try to get one or be very careful with a prybar or something. I used a pry bar but chipped the crap outta the pulley. Thank goodness I was upgrading anyway.

NISTECH

no an auto wont hold the engine still.

lbrowne

This automatic does not hold the engine still.

I've tried is in 1-2-3, and D, and Park.

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

no, you need to use the above procedure that myself and nistech posted, or you can remove the starter and use something to hold the flywheel while you undo the bolt.

if you use the flywheel, be careful not to damage the ring gear for your gonna be in for a flywheel.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”