I broke the bearing in my steering column!!

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
NJAnderson

I broke the the bearing in my steering column tonight when I removed the cab. Any Ideas on how to fix that? There's nothing on RockAuto, and with my limited resources I'm stuck.

srl311too

Try posting here.  It's where I found a J13 head for my '66
http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/main.htm

sdsurf

Get on ratsun.net.... many more guys who will help!!

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

You didn't say which bearing. Since it is a 521 you may be able to take the part to NAPA and match it. Datsun didn't go metric until the 620 even if they don't have one listed for the 521 you may be able to match an American part from that era. I've found NAPA's in small towns to be very helpful. Even if they can't find the part on the computer most still have their old parts books and if things are slow don't mind looking for the part especially  if the guy at the parts counter has been there for years.

NJAnderson

No body could match that bearing (especially since it was so smoushed). The closest I came to being able to match it was through McCarr.com. But didn't have to worry about it because I have it all worked out now. A guy from Fresno Calif sent me out a whole steering box, linkage, and motor mounts, for free, and even paid for shipping until I paid him back.

But the steering box, even though from a 521 was completely different. It still mounted in the same places, but the end of the steering column that turns the steering arm gear was basically backwards from the gear in my box. So then I resorted to taking just the bearing out, and the bearings from the new box (new to me) had 9 balls while mine had 11. But fortunately the bearings are still the same dimensions or at least really close, and it works fine, and I have an extra bearing too. So if any body else needs a bearing from the steering box or column then just let me know and I'll send it out.

Thanks for the help!

~Nick

mklotz70

I'm curious about what you mean by "backwards".  Did he send you a RHD setup? 

If the box had a bolt on plate on the end opposite the tube, it was an older box from a 520.  The outer casting can be used for RHD applications, but the worm gear inside has to change.....which is part of the entire shaft.  Anyway....

Glad to hear you got your bearings. 

NJAnderson

My steering column has three bolts which connect the column to the box and four bolts on top which holds the plate to the top. The one that user name Peper sent me hat three bolts which holds the column to the box, and four that hold a plate on top, but also there are three bolts at the opposite end of where the column connects and if you remove that you can find the bearing there. There is also a drain bolt about half way down the box which my box does not have.

It was the worm gears and control arm gears that were different/backwards. In my original steering box the worm gear has a metal 'cube' on it will teeth, so when you turn the wheel it turns the worm gear which moves the 'cube' up and down the column, which in turn, turns the half circle gear of the control arm. On the new one (he sent me the box and about six inches of the column) there is a worm gear, and the 'cube' attached to the the control arm. So what makes it backwards, in my logic, is that the 'cube'-shaped gear in mine is attached to the column assembly, while in the new box the cube is attached to the steering box assembly.

mklotz70

I'm not sure on the internals....I was mainly refering to the casing.  Your stock one has a cone shape on the front....the 520 one would have a plate instead.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”